Monday, July 18, 2005

Ben Wa and Coffee?

So about two years ago, my folks went on a cruise. Their starting point was New Orleans. There is a famous New Orleans treat that my Mom wanted to taste.

She tells me over the phone, "I'm going to order a ben wa."

"Huh?"

"You know, they're spelled B-E-I-G-N-E-T. I have a book here that told me how to pronounce it."

"Mom, ben was are little balls that gals stick up their hoo-ha."

"Maybe I'll check another book."

I had read a recipe for beignets on the internet and they sounded suspiciously like something my mother has always made called "doughboys". (On the West Coast, they're called elephant ears.) I'm not sure if I mentioned this to her, probably did because I'm a big party pooper.

Anyway, she did order one in New Orleans. Can't remember what the proper pronunciation was but they didn't send her down the street to the sex shop so she must have done okay.

When she got home, she called me. "It was just a doughboy!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home