Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Disaster Day

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster, partly because I hadn't canned in so long.

My friend S called me around 9:45 before she left her house. I got worried around eleven. I was pretty sure the kids had just slowed her down, but I needed to get started. So I hurried and started the strawberry preserves.

She arrived around 11:15 and we started putting the preserves in the bottles. They seemed awful runny, but I thought they would thicken up with processing. Wrong! I went back later and looked at the recipe. I had added six and a half cups water. The recipe called for 1/4 cup. I had been looking at the sugar meausurement. On the bright side, I have some lovely jars of strawberry syrup in my pantry.

We started on the apples. My husband had just showed me the day before how to work the apple corer-peeler? Do you think it worked? NO, it didn't. We peeled them by hand.

The apple preserves came out nice and thick, but the taste of them gave me a toothache. They were so sweet! We followed the recipe exactly so this one wasn't my fault.

SJ came in the kitchen to observe. I had a pan on the front burner out of necessity, as I always use just the back burners. I told him "hot" several times. He had to test it though. He shoved his finger in the burner. Guess who wasn't a happy camper for about three hours afterward! Poor guy. I put on aloe vera right away so it wouldn't blister. He was fine by five o'clock.

I was too busy that day to do much with my hair. We went to pick up the free fish. The girl that gave it to us worked at a place called "Revamps". To me, it sounded like an auto supply place. No, it was a hair salon. I had to walk in to get that fish looking like Ronald McDonald after a week long crack bender. Sigh.

When I got home, my husband was mad at me. I didn't know why. He reminded me of a conversation we had where we agreed J couldn't have a fish. I swear I could not remember the conversation at all. I believe we had it. I just can't REMEMBER it. Does anybody else do this? Am I going around the bend?

S and I are going to can again today. Today I will read the instructions carefully AND add about two cups less sugar. Let's hope we can get it right.

2 Comments:

Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

DARN IT. YOUR COMMENT CREATED A PAVLOV'S DOG EFFECT AND NOW ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS FISH AND CHIPS.

5:31 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I once had a wife named Carolyn. You are obviously not her, because you have a sense of humor.

You know anybody named Beverly?

I REALLY enjoyed your Black Tree Road/Drive story -- "I held my tongue." Hoo boy, that is classic.

I'll be back, Ms. 39-years-of-age.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home