Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hair Gel Fun

There is a hair gel I use to get my hair straight. Unfortunately, if I use a little bit too much product, my hair looks greasy. This morning I was in a hurry and didn't have time to rewash it so I combed cornmeal through it. That's right, Mom, I USED CORNMEAL.

There is a story I have to share. When I was a kid, we went camping in some primitive places. One time we camped where there was no way to wash our hair. My Mom showed me how to comb through cornmeal to get the grease out.

Well, I was going through the stage where I hated to wash my hair. So after we got home, and before school, I was just combing cornmeal through my hair instead of washing it. This went on until my big sis ratted me out. Apparently one day, I went to school with huge globs of cornmeal stuck in my hair. The teachers probably thought I had a new kind of dandruff. LOL

Today, before I left the house, I had my husband make sure no cornmeal was lodged in my hair. I went to my Tuesday morning Mommy group. Towards the end of group, I scratched my head and realized there was still cornmeal on my scalp. History repeats itself.

Maybe I'll buy a new hair gel.
*********************
Another thing I did as a kid was pretty lame too. There were some metal barrels in our backyard. Maybe they were about five gallons each. I sat in one with my knees curled up to my chest and got stuck in the barrel. My Grandma had to drizzle corn oil all over me to get me out. My cousin, John, who was much smaller than me did it first, but he didn't get stuck.
********************
One time, cousin John showed me how he could hang on the clothesline. I tried it and the line broke. I whumped to the ground and all the air was knocked out of me. It was quite painful. I think he got me in trouble as much as I got him in trouble.
********************
I also remember one summer day when I was really hot and I wanted my grandmother to take me to the lake. She wouldn't take me.

I sat a cooking pan upside down in a mud puddle. Then I put an innertube around the pan and sat on the pan. It appeared as if I was floating on an innertube in a mud puddle.

I told her that when people driving by stopped and asked me why I was floating in a mud puddle, I would tell them it was because my grandmother was too mean to take me to the lake.

My grandfather got home, saw me in the puddle, swore up a blue streak, and made her take me to the lake.

I won a round! Ha ha.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cornmeal..? Eww, that's yucky. Wouldn't it be eariser to just wash your hair?

I think the rabbit is right, maybe we should just make cornbread...which is almost just as yucky...

teCHie

2:03 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You're not only crazy, you're crafty, too. Pretty slick, C.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I've heard of powdered shampoo, but I don't think I've ever actually seen it. If cornmeal works, does this mean that any kind of powdery substance would do? Baking soda? Baking powder? Talc? Hmmm.

I'm interested. Does it really make your hair look clean? And does it really save time?

8:56 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Well it took the greasy look out and it was quicker than washing, blow drying, and re-styling.
The hard part is getting all of it combed out, though.

1:22 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

God what wonderful stories. It brings me back! The reason I used cornmeal the first time was that you had been very sick and I didn't want you to have wet hair. By the time, "J" ratted you out, you had a half inch layer stuck to your scalp!

All kids go through a I don't want to clean up phase (except maybe "J") and your sister did too. I have the pictures to prove it. My friend told me she sneaked into the bathroom once while her daughter was supposedly taking a bath and she was sitting on the side of the tub fully clothed and splashing the water with her hand to fool her parents. Danny used to have two clean spots on both cheeks where he only splashed his face! Rick would wrestle him back to the bathroom and comb his hair and wash his face before school. I would force him to eat because he only wanted a cup of coffee (he was nine). Then he would sneak back to the couch. Rick and I would run out to the bus. The driver would toot his horn for a few minutes and then take off. Mom and Dad would deliver him to school sometime later in the day. This was at least once a week.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home