Saturday, August 13, 2005

It's All A Matter of Perspective

There is a huge magnifying mirror I keep in my bathroom drawer. I use it to find the many imperfections and try to cover them up. (Note to self: Go to hardware store. Buy spackle.) When I look in this mirror, I get a small bit depressed.

SJ has discovered the mirror. However, he loves it. He can see his face reflected back in a GIANT size. He tries to run off with it, because really what is neater, when you are a child, than looking at yourself magnified 4X actual size?

Sometimes I really miss being a kid.

Remember when your goal was to get bigger? One of the best compliments I can give to A is to tell her how BIG she's getting. "What a big girl you are!"

Now I get on the scales and gnash my teeth. What a big girl I am.

What if instead of getting upset, I bounced up and down in joy chanting, "I'm getting bigger. I'm getting bigger. You'll never be as big as me?"

I'm sure the men in their nice white suits would show up shortly after.

Remember how excited you got the first time you could eat a WHOLE hamburger?

Now we push back from the table and groan, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Funny, isn't it, the milestones we push for as kids only to wish them away as adults?
But, like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hate that...
Especially when I see family I have not seen in forever, and they go "Oh, your getting so big..."

Gee, thanks....makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....

*rolling eyes*

Maybe when I was 5.....

The joys of being "big"...I must go back to work...

Techie

2:16 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

It's all bittersweet, isn't it? Watching them learn to do little things and knowing they will very seldom ask you to do them again. You're so proud of their every accomplishment while realizing the fact the one day you will be redundant.

Your children will never need you like they did when they were little. While Moms can be of relative importance in your lives, you don't need them like you need your kids.

It's a natural and fair cycle but it is not an easy one. I think any Mom whose last child has just lift who doesn't have the "empty nest syndrome" is very strange.

3:44 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

Dear Mad,

I check your blog every day. It's still empty.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps, techie, they are referring to your beautiful bosoms.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

^^^^^

That's a bit disturbing....

9:13 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

carolyn, you make me laugh out loud. I am picturing you in the bathroom, jumping up and down on the scale, chanting, "I'm getting bigger..."

10:13 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Dear Techie-
I left the anonymous comment. Just messing with ya.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just happy it's not some insane creepy guy...

Still I little curious though...hehe...

Techie

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home