Friday, August 19, 2005

My Local Post Office

I consider the postal service somewhat of a miracle. I can address a package, send it off and 99.9% of the time it gets there. Considering how many pieces of mail they handle, this is truly amazing.

My local post office, however, amazes me with their idiocy. We have lived here six years. We have received neighbor's mail, mail that belongs to people on the cross street, and mail that was addressed to Alaska! (When we put it in our box with the words "sent to wrong address" written on it, they refused to take it back.)

My first inkling of the service that we would receive came shortly after we moved in. I hadn't notified the DMV that we moved and also hadn't realized that it was time for my license to expire. Yes, I know you are supposed to notify the DMV the SECOND that you move. So shoot me.

I went to the local DMV and reapplied for my license. It was denied because my social security number didn't match. (I hadn't changed it over when I got married last. So shoot me again.)

On a sidebar, changing your name sucks! You have to sign it differently. Your hand is automatically signing your old name. Then your brain has to tell your hand, "Wait, that's not it anymore!" You have to change your social, change your driver's license, tell everybody your new name, etc. It's kind of traumatic.

So I went to the social security office, showed them the marriage certificate, got the social info fixed, reapplied and gave the DMV my new address.

We live at an address that kind of sounds like 500 Black Tree Drive. At least I thought it was Drive. That is the address I gave the DMV.

Now, where I live there are no other Black Tree Drives, Roads, Lanes, Circles, etc. We live on the ONLY street with this name.

I waited and waited and waited some more. Finally I called the DMV. My postal carrier sent the license back because, apperently, we live on Black Tree Road, not Drive.

So I had my address changed to Black Tree Road, and the license showed up. Fortunately for me, no nice police officers had reason to pull me over during this whole time frame.

About a year ago I was in the main post office to pick up some mail I had put a stop delivery on while we were on vacation. I told the helpful clerk that I lived on Black Tree Road. To this, she replied, actually it's Black Tree Drive. To my credit, I held my tongue.

Efficiency at its finest always makes my day.

1 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

I do love the postal service. getting my mail is one of the high points of my day - I know, perhaps I need to get a life!

but i know what you mean. Our mailman is a gem, but he still gets the mail wrong. And we've lived here for a year and a half. The only thing I can figure is that someone else sorts it for him?

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home