Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Quitchyer Griping, Mad Rabbit

My posts have been few and far between lately, as I have been canning. Canning is extremely time consuming. You have to wash the fruit, cook the fruit, sterilize the jars, heat them, fill them, wipe them down, put on caps and rings and then process. Factor my "slow gene" into this, and double the time it would normally take.

Let me tell you about my slow gene. My mother has a "super fast" gene. She can slice, dice and chop at the speed of light. She can get a three course meal on the table in half an hour. She passed the fast gene to my sister, J. J can be very speedy, especially when prowling the shopping mall. Since my mother passed on some of her fast gene to J, she decided to keep the rest for herself. I got the slow gene. I have been accused more than once in my life of being stuck in second gear. "You do such lovely work, but you should have been done two hours ago." Those are the kind of comments I have heard from many employers.

I did thirteen half-pints of strawberry preserves this morning. They are still processing. I cut down on the sugar perhaps too much, as they are very tart. They sure are pretty though. (Every time I say half-pint, I think of "Little House on the Prairie.")
******************************
We have run out of freezer bags, storage bags, lunch-style zipper bags and saran-wrap all at the same time. This is unusual.

This morning, while packing lunches, I noticed we were down to the dreaded "snack bags". Anybody that has purchased these damn bags knows of what I am speaking. You look at the box. They look like normal zipper baggies. Perhaps you're in a hurry at the store. You get them home and open them and they are HALF baggies. What in heck are you supposed to fit in them? Who eats a "snack" that damn small? I had to very carefully squeeze the kids' fruit in them this morning, grumbling the whole time.

The brainiac who invented these should have his (and it had to be a man) bed short-sheeted. If I have to use half a baggy, he should have to use half a bed, the moron!
******************************
J. forgot her homework today. So after dropping off A, I had to go back to J's school to do homework delivery. I went two hours awake with no coffee. This is not a good thing.

J. used to forget her lunch daily when she went to middle school. I finally had to quit taking it there. After skipping lunch twice, her memory improved.
******************************
Boots needs a bath so he couldn't ride with us this morning. When I got home, he was pouting. He made sure to come around the corner of the living room and pout where I could see him.

Sometimes he reminds me of my husband. Hee hee.
******************************
Okay, that was a cheap shot. My husband hides in the garage when he pouts. I'm sure he'll read this, so I'd better add, for the record, I'm not perfect either!
******************************
There hasn't been a chance to shower yet so I guess I will go fight SJ for the shower head. Happy Hump Day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Caro said...

Dear Anonymous,

If I want to lower my cholesterol, I will have to exercise and cut down on the ENORMOUS amounts of food I consume. No thanks.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Dear Tiffany,

No, but you are.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Sometimes I wish I had a slow gene. I talk really fast and it's hard for me to slow down and enunciate. I also eat really fast!

4:03 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

I don't think I was born fast. I always worked piecework and just tried to carry it over into real life because I always had a lot to do.

I'm pretty damn proud that you are canning. It's good to know when I'm gone that you and, hopefully, one of the girls will carry on the tradition. There may come a day such as in WWII when everyone in this country is asked to grow a garden. Or, people can just admire the pretty, great tasting things you have made.

4:50 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

You make me laugh out loud, Carolyn. Can you come deal with the stupid spammers on my blog too?

And while I do hate to disagree with you, I find the half baggies very handy for things like cereal or goldfish crackers for the car for my little guys. Once they are bigger (the guys, not the baggies) the half-bags will indeed be useless but right now they hold about the perfect amount.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Good point on the half bags. They would pack a perfect snack for my little guy.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home