Sunday, August 07, 2005

Wake Up!

J's train came in today at noon. It is about a half hour drive on the highway to get there.

Next to the highway, on a hill, somebody had painted "Wake Up". I wondered what they meant.

Was it written for the bleary-eyed morning commuter or was it written for everyone that was operating on auto pilot? "Hey, you, the one who is about to rear end me. Wake up!"

Wake up could have a religious significance. Perhaps for those who feel that signs are pointing to the Big End it could mean for the rest of us to wake up and see what is coming. "The world is ending. Wake up and repent!"

Wake up could be taken literally, as in "Your teen is sneaking out the bedroom window at night to party with friends. Wake up!" Or it could be taken figuratively, "Your spouse isn't really working late. Wake up!"

Wake up could mean to look around you and realize that your kids are growing older quickly. "Stop trying to clean the house. Play with your kids. You won't have them long. Wake up!"

I bet some of you are reading this on a Monday morning. I bet you're tired too. Go get some coffee and wake up!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think you have way too much time on your hands.

TechieWithNoTime

6:14 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I am having tea and listening to the stupid public TV pledge drive. It should be illegal to do pledge during childrens' programming. My boys are whining for Mr Rogers and I am trying to explain why they need to find something else to do for ten minutes. And I have a headache, due to the barometric pressure variations, although I am NOT complaining about the lovely cool rain. so I don't really want to wake up, Carolyn - I want to go back to bed : )

5:55 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

All those in favor of going back to bed say, "Aye!"

Sounds good to me.

Yeah, techie, I think about strange stuff way too much. LOL

6:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aye, yi...can't... I'm wide awake now...

12:19 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

Hooray for whoever wrote "Wake Up".
Wouldn't it be great if every person who sees that sign reflects on it in the same way that you have. I can't attest to all of it but I can tell you I have met people with immaculate homes who treated their kids like crap. Your kids are your legacy. What do people want on their grave stones "Great Housekeeper" or "Beloved Mother"? Kids are grown in the blink of an eye. I know I made a lot of mistakes and I wasn't a great housekeeper either.

In the end, all that matters is family.

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home