Saturday, September 03, 2005

Three Day Weekend - Woo hoo!

I love three day weekends! It gives me extra time to spend at home, hopefully with the kids, and to get more stuff done.
********************
I know it seems early to talk about Christmas, but it is time to start shopping. At least it is time around here. That way, we don't have a credit card we have to pay off until June, just until April.

This year I want to give everybody a gag gift. My family used to do this every year. Some of them were funny. Some of them fell a bit flat.

One year I gave my husband a pair of plastic handcuffs. I will share a bit of the story behind these.

When he was younger, he locked some handcuffs on his ankle. The incident involved the fire department coming out to get them off.

I am making him post the whole story on his blog. After he posts it, I will let everybody know.

So the year I gave my husband plastic handcuffs, he put them on his wrists. They promptly got stuck! No more handcuffs for my hubby. They are just too tempting for him, I guess.
********************
SJ now weighs thirty pounds! It's amazing how much heavier he seems lately. He is going to have to leave my hip. These last couple of pounds are the straw that broke the camel's back. I am starting to get a dowager's hump, due to bad posture, so I even resemble a camel.
********************
J's high school open house was Thursday night. All her teachers are women this year. I embarrassed J when I pointed out to her that one of her teachers had incredibly huge jugs. What, was I not supposed to point out that particular elephant in the corner? That's okay. Embarrassing her is my job, after all.
********************
I probably mentioned that I am going to can this weekend. I went to the library to get some canning cookbooks with good recipes. In the cookbook section, I found a SPAM cookbook. Really, who could resist? It is actually fascinating stuff.

For example, did you know that SPAM is considered a gourmet luxury in South Korea and is often presented as a gift, on a par with luxury chocolates and fine wine? In Guam, the average citizen consumes eight cans of SPAM per year. SPAM has numerous fan clubs.

The recipes didn't look as bad as I thought they would either, except for SPAM cheesecake. I don't think I'd even go there.

The book is called, "SPAM - The Cookbook." The author is Marguerite Patton. It's worth checking out if you like fun facts and trivia.
********************
On the healthy food front, I tried one of Bearette's recipes. It had coconut rice and a curry peanut sauce with tofu and broccoli. I modified it a little bit because I wasn't going to waste that last bit of coconut milk. I added the extra coconut milk to the curry sauce. Other than that, I tried to stick to the recipe.

It was a really yummy recipe. Hubby (a strict meat man) enjoyed it as did J and myself. When I re-heated it for lunch this afternoon, SJ ate most of my bowl. This was an excellent dish.

Thank you Bearette!
********************
Last but not least, is President Bush's latest dumb comment for the day! "Don't buy gas if you don't need it." Okay. I know I've been rushing out to buy it just for the joy of paying over three bucks a gallon! Please, oh please let us not usher another moron into the office next election time.

Have a great weekend.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

yay! i'm glad you liked it. maybe i'll add the extra coconut milk to the curry sauce next time, too.

Bush IS a moron.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes, okay, MANY times, at work owners bring their own dog food...well, yesterday... I was checking around the kitchen so I could set the 'own food' on the counter for the girl that works after me...and there was a bag a turkey spam for one of the dogs...turkey spam...THATS it... I wonder what they are on...

11:12 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Carolyn? Don't buy food unless you need it.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

I've been looking in the mirror, oldhorsetailsnake, and I DON'T need it.

7:27 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I grew up eating Spam - and scrapple. Damn East Coasters and their funky tastes. I must admit, though I haven't touched either in eons, that a fried Spam sandwich was pretty tasty.

I just filled up my very-fuel-economical vehicle (25-28 mpg, city driving) to the tune of THIRTY-FIVE dolllars. I could only laugh at the idiot in the Hummer at the pump ahead of me.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home