Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Long Drive Home

Today we drove home from visiting both sets of parents. It is a long, boring, four hour drive.

Fortunately, I will share the boredom.

We saw a poor dead doggie in the right lane. I started singing the old childhood song, "I'm looking over my dead dog Rover, that I overlooked before."

My husband said, "No, it goes I'm looking over my dead dog Rover, that I hit with my power mower."

Perhaps there was an East coast and West coast version of this song.

I saw a handmade sign that said, "Jesus is Lord."

One psycho semi driver almost ran us down. But he used his left turn signal so that's okay.

I saw at least fifty billboards for different housing developments. One advertisement was a bunch of huge cardboard people cutouts. There was a lady playing tennis, a man fishing, a man golfing and a couple walking. I assume the man fishing meant that a lake was also supplied in the development. If so, why was he wearing camping clothes? And why do I care?

There were many billboards for various ambulance chasers. This one was my favorite. It read:

Accidentes?
222-2222
Los Abagados

Abagados are lawyers. (Don't speak English? No problem. We'll teach you how to sue anyway. Welcome to America!)

We saw some abandoned houses and factories. Am I the only one who thinks abandoned buildings look forlorn?

I saw a no-tell motel called the "Shady Nook." Talk about truth in advertising.

That was it for our exciting drive home. (<:

5 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Didn't you play the A B C D, etc., sign game? The person who got Q firstt (Quaker Oil) always won, back in my day.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

"Fortunately, I will share the boredom." I love this blog :)

I knew a girl who had a house in the Hamptons, and when she was going to the Hamptons, she played a game called "Hamptons/not Hamptons." She could identify the people going to the Hamptons b/c they were all driving Lexuses.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Of course I did not endorse this game, and thought it was very snotty!

8:00 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

I'm glad to see the trip was pretty uneventful. It's getting so I can understand the Spanish signs also, and I don't speak Spanish!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thanks for the compliment, Bearette.
Also, regarding the writing class, I live near Sacramento, but thanks for letting me know about the CA locations.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home