Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Ruckus In The Old Folks Home

When we moved here from San Jose, I was depressed for about three years. I didn't know many people, and it takes a while for me to make friends as so many people are appalled by my weirdness.

Around two years ago I joined a local Mom's group. They do lots of things like trips to local orchards and other activities.

Today the plan was to go to the local assisted living apartments. The kids were going to make trick or treat bags and visit with the seniors. Allison was great, but SJ had other plans. Perhaps dressing him like the Energizer Bunny was tempting fate.

He ran down a hallway. I got him back. He ran up the stairs. I got him back. He ran down another hallway. He almost ran in an elevator, but a senior lady reached down and caught him. I don't think she was supposed to lean down because the orderly scolded her. The orderly glared at me, but I thanked her and she beamed.

Most of the seniors got a kick out of him, but he didn't do any visiting and that's what we were there for. One lady gave us the evil eye. I'm sure in her day a good beating would have slowed him down. Too bad I only beat my kids in private where nobody can see.

Okay, well I smack their bottoms with my hand occasionally. In public, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Either way, somebody will take offense at the godawful job you are doing of child rearing.

While we were at the senior apartments a lady was going down the current hallway SJ was in and she said, "Oh I went down the wrong hallway."

I said, "Well there's a lot of hallways here."

She was my future vision of myself seeing as how I can never find my damn car in the parking lot.

We left after twenty minutes, because I was tired of chasing SJ and getting glared at by the evil orderly.

I then proceeded to share him with the teller at the bank and the clerk behind the pharmacy counter. I am nothing if not generous.

New gray hairs keep sprouting from my head. I wonder why.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

Hehe :) I'm always worried that new people will be appalled by my weirdness too.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

You know what? Yes, you struggled, and yes, you were only there for 20 minutes, but I bet SJ's antics really thrilled some of those people.

Isn't there a Rugrats episode where the kids run loose in a retirement home?

6:03 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

I bet most people loved him.

9:03 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

There's a lady at my assisted living home that opens my door at least once a day, looking for her room. She is only off by one floor, and the opposite side of the corridor.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

I hope you don't run around naked Old Horse or maybe that is really why she keeps opening your door!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home