Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

Today was Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. I set my alarm for two a.m. so I could be in line by three. But not really.

I used to eagerly peruse the post Thanksgiving sales the night before, plotting my strategy according to which store opened first and which items I wanted the most.

One year, we waited two hours in the pre-dawn hours outside Walmart. We wanted the sixty-six dollar bread machine. We stampeded into the store with the other cattle and went straight to the household goods. There was not ONE bread machine left. I think the store carried maybe three of them at most. We left in disgust.

Another thing that soured me on Black Friday was the people that didn't get in line. They waited in the parking lot and then rushed the doors when they opened. Classy, huh? The last time I did Black Friday, three years ago, there were security guards to prevent that. Isn't it sad that the stores had to hire security guards to prevent people from acting like assholes?

Mervyn's used to give out gift cards and small presents to the first five-hundred visitors. I saw tons of women who must have borrowed every child in their family and popped out at least five of their own. They had every single one of their freaking kids in line so they could get as much free crap as possible, thus screwing the rest of us.

The very last time I went to BF, I was six and a half months pregnant. I tried to cross an aisle and people were charging at me with their carts in front of them like battering rams. They didn't care that I was pregnant. I needed to get the hell out of their way and fast!

I've had it with this particular shopping day. There is no electronic, gaming system, hot toy or "back massager" low-priced enough to get my butt out of bed the day after Thanksgiving until I have had my full quota of sleep. When the stores start passing out coupons for a year's worth of free day care, I'll show up again. (a week early.)
***************
Old Hoss mentioned God on his blog again today, an "is there or isn't there?" comment.

God is a toughie for me. God involves blind belief. The last time I believed in something blindly, it was Santa Claus. Well, we all know how that ends up. (Sorry, Virginia, it was all a bunch of bullshit.)

My parents never took me to church as a child. My mother said I could choose when I grew up. This is the best prescription to ensure that your children will NEVER go to church.

When I go into church, I feel like an imposter. Remember the final scene from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" when the man shows up and the aliens discover he isn't one of them yet? They all point him out. That's what I keep expecting to happen. "She can't come in here. Get her!"

Sometimes I'm sure there is a God. Sometimes I wonder, especially when bad things happen to good people.

There is only one way for me to find out for sure and I'd like to wait about forty years on that one.

Let's just hope I don't go to the bad place. I never have cared for the heat much.

7 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Sure there's a God. Now then, is he/she Hispanic, Black, White, Arabic, Inuit, Norwegian or Nigerian? I always have too many questions.

6:54 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

I believe there is a God. Otherwise, life is meaningless. I don't think that going to church and getting water sprinkled on your head assures a decent place in the hereafter. I've seen too many "Christians" who are stingy, small minded, envious and all the other things that are hateful.

All we can do is try to be the best we can and no one can be perfect all the time.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think there has to be something out there... some higher power... "God" I guess.

Personally, I claim 'christian', however, I am more of a Christain, Shikk, Jewish, Pagan, whatever whatever.

I can't seem to follow one sole religion... I like "X" about this religion and about "X" religion... Though, mostly I have Christian beliefs...

Does anyone really believe EVERYTHING is one religion?

I like what Nobody said, "All we can do is try to be the best we can, no one can be perfect all the time."

So true.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

I kind of like Buddhism.

Did you hear about the scuffle that broke out in an Orlando Wal-Mart? Apparently a bunch of people wanted laptops and they got violent!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette, you're back! No, I didn't hear about the Orlando Walmart. How funny!

Techie, I can be perfect all the time, really. LOL

6:47 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Old horse, you forgot one question. Male or female?

6:48 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Female, of course. When God created man, She was only joking.

;)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home