Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Chore Wars


This picture is of the kitchen that started it all. J has one chore. That is to clean the kitchen every day. I usually run at least one load through the dishwashwer daily in addition to what she does.

Last week she kept asking for a "pass" on the kitchen. She said she had tons of homework. I'm sure she did have tons, but she wasn't getting right on it. She farted around for a few hours, then did homework and then said she was tired.

I let her pass for a few nights. On Thursday night, I told her it had to be done. It was piled up and I didn't have time.

Well she conveniently didn't do it on Thursday night. On Friday morning, I woke up to the above mess. She wanted to see Harry Potter on Friday night. I was going to make her do the dishes first and then go. Then she was going to be grounded for the rest of the weekend and do chores.

Husband said, no she had to be grounded on Friday night and then she could be free the rest of the weekend. We told her she was grounded. She stomped out of the kitchen and slammed the pocket door (which husband ended up repairing). So the grounded extended to the rest of the weekend. (I thought.)

"J" thought so too. She made plans to go to Harry Potter Tuesday night. Husband said she was still grounded. I told her she was still grounded and couldn't go.

So "J" is mad at me. Husband is mad at me. I get to be stuck in the middle - oh so fun. Can anyone find me the nearest "tattered" women's home?

I don't even feel like screwing with the holidays. I am tired of living with the strife and negativity. I am tired of being told from husband that I am too lenient and from daughter that I am too strict. I wish I could put them both in the boxing ring with a couple of shock collars and buzzers in each one's hand. Then they could have their pissing match without my prescence.

Update: J just totally pissed me off and is grounded another month. It was a big piss off. Happy Holidays to me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Could we really skip the holidays? That would be great.
I'd like that.
Holidays are so much more fun when you are younger....

9:57 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

oh carolyn. what a pain.

i plan to get thru the holidays by drinking a lot.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I love the idea of a home for tattered women.

I'm sorry you're stuck with this. One nice thing about being divorced is that I can do most of the parenting on my own. (Then again, one of the down sides is that I have to do most of the parenting on my own.)

How old is J? Just curious. Teddy's almost nine, so he seems to be at a perfect age. He's still sweet, and pretty pliant and enthusiastic, but he's also fairly independent. Why can't this last?

6:59 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

J is fifteen and generally a good kid, but if you ground her, watch out! She becomes Jenzilla!

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home