Sunday, November 13, 2005

Dog Farts and Recipes

Maybe I should change that title....nah.

Last week I made a roast in the crock pot. I love my crock pot, but my husband doesn't care for crockpot cooking much. This is because it isn't crispy - meaning fried.

I have my eating addictions also. We are on our own special diet. It is called the Cardiac Crusher.

Anyway, back to the crockpot. I put in a roast, potatoes, carrots, cream of celery soup and an envelope of Lipton Onion. Then I cooked it until it was done. It's very simple and a good time saver on days that I know my evenings will be full.

I gave some leftover pork to the dogs. Boston Terriers tend to be gassy anyway. Throw in some onion and you have a real smell-o-rama going on.

Mandy likes to sit at my feet while I'm at the computer. Every twenty minutes or so a horrible smell would hit my nose. Imagine if a skunk sprayed you just a few hours after it had ingested some expired egg curry. Then multiply that by ten. Her gas is so bad that Boot's offerings pale by comparision.

Now that I have everybody all drooling and hungry, I wanted to post the tofu recipe from last Wednesday. I made it tonight, minus the ginger and sherry and it was good. It isn't an overpowering sugary sweet and sour. It is understated. I enjoyed it.

For those of you who have to be carnivores, substitute boneless, skinless chicken for the tofu. For those of you willing to give tofu a try, drain it well and pat it dry with paper towels before cooking.

1 TBS sesame or peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp grated ginger root
50g/ 1 3/4 oz baby corn cobs
50g/ 1 3/4 oz snow peas
1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 green bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
8 scallions, trimmed
50g/ 1 3/4 oz. canned bamboo shoots
8 oz. firm tofu, cubed
2 TBS rice vinegar
2 TBS dry sherry
2 TBS honey
1 TBS soy sauce
2/3 cup vegetable stock
1 TBS cornstarch

Heat the oil in a preheated wok until almost smoking.
Add the tofu and brown on both sides. Remove from pan.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds stirring frequently.
Add the baby corn cobs, snow peas, carrot and bell pepper and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add the scallions, bamboo shoots and tofu and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Stir in sherry, rice vinegar, honey, soy sauce, vegetable stock and cornstarch and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Transfer to serving dishes.

We ate it over rice. I don't feel as bloated and tired as I usually feel after dinner. Yay. Enjoy!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

That looks good! I might leave out the bamboo shoots. I am wary of them for some reason.

Your description of Mandy's gas brought my childhood dog's, um, intestinal disturbances to mind ;) But we loved her anyway.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Yes, I love my dog enough to put up with her stink. But hey, everybody puts up with mine!

On a different note, I think some mushrooms would have been good in this recipe also.

8:36 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Very good recipe Mom. I was once (and sort of still am) fond of tofu, esp. stir fried.

9:11 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

Yeah, right! Can't you see me serving tofu to Nan. She doesn't eat anything with peppers or seasoning she doesn't understand. Pretty much leaves me with salt and pepper.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home