Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Good News and Not So Good News

This has been a busy week. A had a dentist appointment Monday. SJ had speech therapy Tuesday and a hearing appointment today. The good news is his hearing seems to be fine. The not so good news is that his speech therapist says he should be assessed.

He repeats words for her, but he is not grasping the words. Basically, he is just echoing.

He also has a few stims that he repeats quite frequently, especially arm flapping. The definition of stims is below. I cut and pasted from another web site.

(The word "stim" refers to any (usually repetitive) self-stimulatory behaviour. The stereotypical example is rocking or flapping, but it can be virtually anything that causes repetitive sensory input. What counts as a stim varies from person to person. Also, what works as a stim for one person may cause sensory overload in another.)

He has an appointment to get diagnosed but not until January 30th, which seems an eternity to wait.

In the meantime, I ordered a book on communication reccomended by his speech therapist. It only cost an arm and a leg fifty bucks. I searched the local library for some information and there was not a lot of literature to help me and anything good was on order or checked out.

While I don't believe he is autistic, he does have autistic symptoms. We shall see.

I am sad, of course, but I also know that there are many worse things that a child can be afflicted with. I will continue to encourage him and do the best I can.

3 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

carolyn - i'm a librarian, i will happily do a comprehensive lit search for you. email me with details and i'll give it my best shot.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thank you. I can't figure out how to e-mail you through your blog. I searched autism in my library database and there wasn't much. Not being sure of the diagnosis makes it hard. The only other search I can think of is PDD. (Pervasive Developmental Disorder. I did order "It Takes Two" which is supposed to help with speech developement.

2:58 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

Jodi is looking, too.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home