Wednesday, November 23, 2005

It's All About the Pies

Thanksgiving shouldn't be called Turkey Day. It should be called Pie Day. One can only eat so much leftover turkey. Pie however...there's never a slice left in my fridge.

Yesterday I went to Costco, the local warehouse store to buy a pumpkin pie. They make a huge one for six dollars and it's better than anything I can bake. Even my MIL, who makes heavenly crust, buys a Costco pie every year.

We went for the pumpkin pie first. All I could see were the pecan and apple pies. I repeatedly said out loud, "Where's the pumpkin?"

Then I saw the gentleman who was literally two feet away from me, and happened to be unloading a ginormous rack of them. I am excellent at making myself look intelligent in public.

We grabbed a pumpkin and threw a cheesecake in the cart. Then we went to get some dog food. On the way to the dog food, ladies from The Cheesecake Factory were giving out free samples of Pumpkin Cheesecake. A loved it. We HAD to get a pumkin cheesecake also. I could have schlepped back to the other side of the store and put the other cheesecake back, but now what fun would that be?

So we are having a pumpkin, a chocolate cream, and two cheesecakes. Well it may be down to one cheesecake by the time Thanksgiving comes. Heh heh.

When we went to the parking lot, I couldn't find my van. The parking lot is set up strangely. There are some straight lines and some diagonal lines. The front of the store is triangular. Really, I have enough trouble finding my car in a normal parking lot. I hit the panic key so I could find it by honking horn, but my key chain was malfunctioning. Figures. Eventually, I did find it or I wouldn't be sitting here typing.
***************
On the whole subject of losing things, I have to tell a story from grocery shopping last week. A very elderly couple was in the produce section. The husband asked his wife, "Where's the cart?"

"Right behind me," she replied.

He looked, "No it's not."

They were both looking around rather confused and I said, "Is this it over here?"

The husband went to get it and growled at me, "Wait until you're our age!"

Note to self: If I ever see this again, pretend I didn't - well unless it's a purse or wallet or granchild or something like that.
***************
I read a quote by Bill Maher the other day that I loved.

"Kids. They're not easy. But there has to be some penalty for sex."

This one may have to be framed and placed prominently on my wall. Oh how classy I am.
***************
J, my oldest, is going to her Father's house for Thanksgiving. This means I get her for Christmas. I prefer Christmas because the vacation time is longer. Of course, check back two days into that vacation, and my opionion will be changed. She's home for how long!

We are going to visit my mother for part of this time. My grandmother flew out from Maine to visit and is staying with my mother. She is my last surviving grandparent.

My paternal grandmother died before I was born. Drinking Sterno to get drunk will do that to you. (Did I mention I'm named after her?) My maternal grandfather died when I was twelve and my paternal grandfather died when I was about nineteen. So my "Nanny" is the last grandparent I have. Her health isn't wonderful but could be much worse. I'm sure we will have a nice visit.
***************
Happy Holidays everybody.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I only have one remaining grandparent, and I bet she could kick my ass in a fight.

Enjoy your visiting, and your break from J. :-) Oh, and your pies!

Happy Thanksgiving!

10:02 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

I can hardly wait until you all get here. I hope the kids want to bake cookies and play games. I can actually help out with them this time!

That old man in the grocery store was probably embarrassed and didn't mean to sound cranky! We're all going to get there.

10:09 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

mmmm, pie......

how I love pie.

I made an apple pie and left it at the in-laws for turkey day, but my father-in-law ate the whole thing already. so i am making some biscotti instead, along with the sweet potato souffle.

Happy Tday, Carolyn!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you too.

1:35 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

Nancy's family does pie night the night before Thansgiving. They all get together and eat pie for dinner.

3:15 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I know what you're doing. You're trying to distract our attention from the fact that you have more dessert than you deserve, and you are hoping some will be leftover.

IT WON'T.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My Jazzercise instructor told us tonight since 8 of us came to class the day before Turkey...er...PIE Day, we get one extra guilt free helping of stuffing. How nice!

Lol, though...oddly enough... working my butt off for an hour... literally... makes me not want ANY pie... Is that so horrible?

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Eat lots of pie for me!

8:57 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

the year I ran the five-mile Turkey Trot Thankksgiving day morning, I ate a banana for dessert. It *is* unfair that working out makes you NOT want dessert. However, with enough fortitude, you can overcome this obstacle.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Boy I must be a freak. Working out makes me starving!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Working out makes me want a salad... lol

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home