Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Aspire To Inspire Before You Expire

I stole today's title from a church. There is a church I pass every day that posts weekly messages. Some of them are quite witty. I wonder who comes up with them.
********************
My oldest has an eye doctor appointment tomorrow at eight. I have to get out of bed at a normal time like a real person, shower and do my hair, all by seven-fifteen.

Ah, crap.
********************
My middle child, "A", is still taking taekwando. She takes it Monday and Wednesday from 4:30 to 5:00 and it is fifty dollars a month.

We can squeeze that much out of the budget.

Tonight, her teacher took me aside to tell me she thought "A" was starting to stagnate and should be in the higher class.

The higher class costs eighty a month. "A" would test for her belt every eight weeks at a cost of forty bucks. There is a twenty-five dollar fee for enrolling in the new class. Once she gets a green belt, she has to have "sparring" equipment for self-defense training at a cost of one-hundred twenty dollars.

So do we let our daughter "stagnate" or do we quit buying groceries?
********************
California students have to take an exit exam to graduate from high school.

There is a math portion and an English portion.

A local newspaper is following some students who are struggling with the exam.

One student they interviewed is still trying to pass one portion of the exam.

He stated, "That ain't my goal, to go to no night school and not walk the stage. Everyone wants to see me walk the stage and get my diploma."

Would your guess be that he failed the English portion? You would be wrong.

He passed that portion on his first try, his sophomore year.

Scary, huh?

7 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

hah...i guess it's not that hard!

;)

5:16 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

have you decided what to do with the tae kwon do? fortunately all levels of yoga cost the same. would she be into that? :)

5:16 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Hey, Carolyn? Where in CA do you live?

You know which one of those pithy little church signs always drives me batty? "Know Jesus, know peace. No Jesus, no peace."

I always think that the person who thought of that is just IN LOVE with himself, and it makes me want to smack him.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh... the eXiT eXaM.... I think if you can't pass it, you shouldn't graduate. It's a fairly easy test. If you paid half a mind each year of high school you should be able to pass it. If you can pass your classes, which is required to graduate, then you should be able to pass the EE. I am so-so with english and terrible at math... yet I passed both parts the first try. Come to find out, they waived it for my class... ugh...

I live in Central Ca, I've seen that sign before... lots of people have that on their liscense plate frames... Lots of colorful people here... mine says "Techies do it in the dark."

8:02 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Gina, we're about half an hour from Sacramento. We live in an area that was rural but is getting less so by the day.

Bearette - she loves the whole kicking, yelling thing. Maybe I'll try to find some extras we buy and give them up.

8:57 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Put in a victory garden?

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grams would be willing to subsidise the whole Tae Kwan DO thing.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home