Monday, January 30, 2006

Diagnosis Day

Today has been a busy day and this has been the first chance to blog.

"J" is waiting for the computer so she can do her homework. This means I have to blog quickly, darn it. Homework trumps fun every time.

"SJ" got his diagnosis today. He has PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) which is what I expected. To show me what it meant, the psychologist drew a line on a piece of paper. Austism was on the left. PDD was on the right. So he is on the autism spectrum but not autistic. He could, when he is older, be diagnosed with aspeberger's syndrom but that diagnosis isn't possible until he is five or six.

He has speech delays. He lacks "core" body strenth and he has trouble deciphering facial expressions. If this lead to him being bullied in school, I may homeschool him. He can have play dates with other home-schooled children for his socialization.

He may never be a social butterfly but he could have quite a future working with computers. He will most likely not be a customer service type of guy.

Since my husband and I are both kind of social dorks, he'll fit in quite nicely with us. Poor guy.
********************
In other news, something very exciting came in the mail for me.

On the outside of the flyer was this intriguing message: YOU Could Be The Next Mrs. California United States. (Yes, it WAS addressed to me.)

The inside of the letter read, "Congratulations. YOU have been selected to represent your community and compete in the Mrs. California United States Pageant. This is your opportunity to show what the married women in your area are all about.

Mwahahahahahahahaha.

How the heck did they get my name?

Obviously, they have no idea who I am and have certainly never seen me.

I know for a fact that Mrs. California United States has to be physically fit.

I think her hair has to be combed.

I think she has to be a Super Mom.

I think her house has to be clean.

I think she has to perform community service.

I think she has to feed starving children in (enter impoverished country here).

In short, I am not Mrs. California United States.

Oh how it pains me to decline this honor. Snicker.
********************
I hope everybody had a wonderful Monday.

I might have time to check YOUR blogs now. Yay!

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

Sorry about SJ's diagnosis. But the computer guys make more $ than the customer service people anyway! I used to work in customer service, and my husband's a computer guy, so I know ;)

I like social dorks.

7:15 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

would you really homeschool? You are a freaking saint. i admire you to no end. i would sooner saw at my wrists with a dull bread knife till i died than homeschool my children.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Babelbabe,

I'm no saint. I don't want to homeschool due to the fact I have NO patience. I will only be doing it if he is getting bullied.

I had been looking forward to him starting school so I could go back to college.

I'm hoping school will work out well for him. Otherwise, I won't get my alone time until I'm around fifty-two.

Let's hope he doesn't get bullied.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I bet you have a lot more patience than you give yourself credit for, Carolyn.

It sounds like you're okay with the PDD diagnosis, and I'm glad for you. He may not be like "all the other little boys", but if he's anything like my nephew (who just missed qualifying for the PDD diagnosis), he'll be happy and loving, and that's all you really need.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think A would take care of any bullies. WIth her prowess in Tae Kwan Do, I wouldn't worry too much about bullies. Besides he is sooooo sweet, who could ever bully him?
Ms California, why not. Bout time they realized that June Cleaver is retired and asked for representation from a REAL mom.

11:57 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

As a matter of fact, I think you are probably the typical, perfect, Mrs. California.

Think about out favorite memories of our Moms. I don't think warm fuzzy feelings come from thinking about an immaculate house or how good looking your Mom was. Our memories are of favorite meals, hours of Mom helping on school project, cooking goodies just for you for no special reason and the times that you really had FUN with your MOM. (That video you made will always be one of your kids favorite memories!)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Haaaaaaa.You should run,show them what a REAL woman is like!

All you need to successfully homeschool your child is love.
Sounds corny,but it's true.
I have zero patience and 5 years later,both my kids are still alive and well.True story;p
You'd do fabulous!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thank you everybody for all the support.

I'm sure he'll do fine - probably better than me. hee hee

1:49 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Maybe the Mrs. California people decided it was time to elect a normal person.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just ran across your journal somehow, but my little brother was also diagnosed with PDD, but my dad refused to allow further testing. Currently, I am getting him assessed for Asperger's.

My little brother is quite literally one of the most intelligent (he has a genius i.q.), sweetest, kind hearted person in the world and though was never popular in school, has a few friends.

Make sure you get IEPs every year at school and you could possibly put him into a special school for children with Asperger's paid for by the school district. By law, a school district MUST provide your son with a "free and appropriate education" no matter what. So, you shouldn't have to home school him. :) He can join a school with other children with Asperger's. If you ever have any problem feel free to look here: www.navlaw.net. they also have many links regarding this. Sincerely, H.D., 21, Los Angeles

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home