Monday, January 23, 2006

I Want The Whole Pound

During my Thrifty ice cream post, I complained about the size of ice cream cartons shrinking. I have now noticed this with other products.

When I purchased a bag of coffee at the store, it was 12 ounces. What did they do with the extra four ounces? I want a pound, darn it!

When I purchased some sausage links, it was the same thing - 12 ounces! Sausage is fattening and we really don't need a whole pound, or 12 ounces for that matter, but it is the principle of the thing.

Tofu also comes in 12 ounce containers. I very recently started cooking with it so I'm not sure if it ever came in a pound size, but it should!
***************
I wasn't going to go to the gym today, but then I stepped on the scales.

Holy guacamole. I'm surprised my rear-end doesn't go beep beep beep when I walk backwards.

No wonder none of my clothing fits.

At the gym, I watched some close-captioned tv.

The makers of Xenical, a weight loss drug, want to market an over-the-counter half strength version of the medicine, called "Alli".

Xenical works by blocking about a quarter of the fat from the foods that you eat. You still have to be very careful not to each too much fat or one of the side effects will kick in.

The side effect, in layman's terms, is you crap yourself. Clean up on aisle four!

Probably if you're going to take this, it wouldn't be a good time to start those ballroom dancing lessons you've been dreaming of. Or maybe it's best not to leave the house at all.

Another item in the news is that bed bugs are back. Remember when your folks said, "Good night, don't let the bed bugs bite."

They are no longer a thing of the past.

They have popped up in New York and are working their way to the West coast. I can hardly wait until they get here.

Exterminators say they used to get two calls a year and now get two calls a week. It can take up to three visits to eradicate the little critters.

I'm getting all itchy just typing this.

8 Comments:

Blogger Caro said...

I would LOVE some recipes.

I eat lots of chocolate so I will watch out for maltitol. I hate taking the time to pee let alone the other.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Now I'm convinced I have bedbugs. I had an itchy pink spot, like a little bite, on my ribs last night (now gone). And I'm itchy, even though I showered last night. Aargh!!!

Oddly enough, you can only get tofu in a 1-pound package over here; Nasoya or 365 (Whole Foods) are the brands I always get. If a recipe calls for anything less than a pound of tofu, I don't make it, because I don't know where to find a 12-oz package.

8:21 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i read that about the bed bugs too. like we don't have enough to worry about.

wasn't that the deal with those potato chips made with olean a while back, that if you ate the whole bag (and who only eats a few chips??) you got diarrhea?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - My math is bad so I might be wrong, but if the tofu was the firm kind, could you cut it in four extra pieces and each piece would be four ounces? You could use three of them in a 12 ounce recipe and save the rest for later. I'm sure you don't have bedbugs. I probably made you paranoid though.

Babelbabe - Yes indeedy, the olean didn't agree with a lot of people. It's funny that scientists keep trying to find new ways to make us thin and still the only sure cure is to eat less and exercise more.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bedbug thing is apparently not so much a problem in the home (at least to begin with) but is rampant in hotels. Even very nice ones.
If you really want to lose weight
just cook as you normally do, load up your plate then take off half before you eat. (THis from my Dr. who says that diet means all I do is think about food, what I can eat and when.) Its true, when I am dieting I am thinking about my next meal while I am eating the current one. OYE

10:53 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Mmmmmm,ice cream....

2:11 PM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

The only way to diet is to just not eat much and serve lots and lots of spinach, asparagus and other greens. 1/2 cup only of rice, potatoes, pasta and 4 oz. of chicken. Make sure to take vitamins.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Babelbabe - I heard that about Olestra too. My friend Carpe tried those chips and said, never again.

Carolyn - That didn't even occur to me :( Now I know! Fortunately, most of my recipes call for a pound anyway.

I did some research on bedbugs. Apparently you can put double-sided adhesive tape on your mattress, and if you have some, they'll stick. Then you get some spray or whatever. So far the tape is clean.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home