Monday, January 16, 2006

Shopping With The Hellions

"J" is going to the winter ball at her HS on Jan 26th. She wanted to go shopping for a dress today.

So I thought it would be a great opportunity to spend some of my Christmas money and to get some extra shoes for "A" and "SJ". What the hell was I thinking?

"SJ" set the tone at the first store. While "J" was in the dressing room trying on clothes, he insisted on playing in some chairs. After five minutes of this, I wanted to look at some stuff. This was not in his plan. He shrieked and stiffened his body so I couldn't lift him up easily.

"J" can take twenty minutes to try on three dresses. What a treat it is to wait forever and a day while your oldest moves at a snail's pace trying on clothes. This is while your youngest is shrieking so loud the front windows are vibrating.

"A" was a treat also. Trust me on this one.

I saw some dishes I really wanted for my kitchen but I rushed him out of the store instead. Spend money on myself - really what was I thinking?

The one highlight of the day was going to Bath and Body Works. I managed to grab a vanilla body wash, lotion and spray before he melted down again. They were on sale too.

We went to six more stores. What a treat. Four hours later, "J" found a dress. It wasn't what she had really wanted, but she was feeling desperate. Never mind that the dance is TWO FREAKING WEEKS AWAY.

It is a nice dress, at least. "J" was irritated that the little ones had to come with us. Oh the hard life of a teen. I haven't had a day, a FULL DAY to go shopping by myself in six years. I'm pretty sure of that.

I have a dream. I have a dream of having five-hundred dollars in my hot little hands - five-hundred dollars just for me! I dream of somebody watching my kids and not asking when I will be back - in fact telling me they don't expect to see me until at least nine in the evening. Oh wait, that's not a dream. That's one of my insane, never going to happen fantasies.

I know I'm lucky to have my kids. They're great kids. Today, though, they were rotten little brats. I guess we all have those days.

2 Comments:

Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

I can't do much about the five hundred but you can have a day by yourself if you want.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

I wasn't hinting! When you come up to visit, I want to visit, not take off.

Soon, very soon, he will be in preschool. woo hoo!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home