Sunday, February 26, 2006

Today I Am Going To Make The Pot Sing

I stole the title quote from one of my cookbooks. It's a saying for when you are going to make soup.

Since it is a rainy day, and since it sounded good, I have a lovely chicken soup on the burner. Well, at the moment, it is only a chicken, some onions, salt and a few peppercorns. But tonight it will be the perfect dinner for a rainy day.

The best part of a whole chicken is how cheap it is. Since I am too lame to cut one up myself without major injury, I either bake them or put them in soup.

As many of you mentioned, Girl Scout cookies are indeed out. They were being sold in front of the grocery store. We showed great restraint and only purchased three boxes.

We now have Thin Mints, Tagalongs and Cafe Cafes. The Cafe ones taste rather like gingerbread and you are supposed to dip them in your coffee.

The weather was beautiful out this morning. There was a lovely breeze blowing that felt like spring. I took the little ones to the park and we stayed about an hour. By the time we left, the breeze was more of a wind.

We came home, ate lunch and then went shopping. I purchased batteries for my digital camera which looked like the correct kind. I hope they are.

We looked at the fish tanks and "A" was appalled when she saw some live fish eating a dead one. I told her that's what fish do.

It's not like people invented sushi. Well, okay they invented the rice and seaweed wrap.

I wanted to buy a book at the store but SJ was not in the mood for browsing. He kept trying to escape the cart. We have a used bookseller in town where I would LOVE to go browse. Unfortunately, he is like most of the small business in town. They roll up the sidewalks on Sundays and at five o' clock on weekdays. I can't blame them. It says that they value family over profits and that's not a bad attitude at all.

Supposedly, there will be snow below eight hundred feet on Thursday. But I've heard that one before so we won't get too excited. Yeah, yeah I know it's awful to drive in. But when I was a kid, growing up in Maine, it was hecka fun to play in.

SJ is "playing" his guitar. He doesn't run up and just pound it like the average kid. I remember when I was a kid. I did that and I thought I sounded great. My tone deaf ear couldn't tell that I sounded NOTHING like the music I was listening to.

SJ,on the other hand, very thoughtfully strums it, trying to make it sound right to him. He gets frustrated because it doesn't sound the same as the songs he wants it to sound like.

Maybe I'm raising a band geek. We shall see. They never turn out anything like you expect them to, do they?

8 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

I was *ahem* a band geek. I played clarinet. I gave it up though, after high school.

Tagalongs rock.

I didn't know you grew up in New England - me too. Massachusetts. Maine winters must not have been fun.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Do you guys watch SpongeBob? Have you ever seen the Band Geeks episode? It's one of my favorites!

6:37 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

carolyn - after your bout with stomach flu, you can probably guess where my brain went with today's post title...

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have the dad teach him where to place his fingers to make the notes he wants to make. He'll catch on really quickly.

10:04 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Hoo boy. Chicken soup, sounds just like what Hoss used to makie.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Mmmmm,your soup sounds divine!
So do those cookies,they are most often my un-doing;p

3:09 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - I didn't mean band geek in a bad way.

Gina - Was that the one where Squidward lied and said he had a band? Too funny.

Babelbabe - You made me LOL. I don't think THAT pot was singing. Perhaps it was trying to run away though.

Mad Rabbit - I hope his Dad will teach him.

Old Hoss - I love a man who can cook.

Ms. L - My oldest daughter used to be a girl scout and we probably went through twenty boxes a season.

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home