Saturday, March 25, 2006

Cars I've Known But Not Necessarily Loved

My daughter is getting her driver's permit soon. This brings up a slew of old memories.

She doesn't have a car yet. She wants to get a job to start saving, but I'm sure we will be helping out.

My parents, to the best of my memory, paid half of the price of my first car. (700.00) It was about three months before the end of my senior year. It felt as if I had been waiting FOREVER for my own car.

Maybe some of you were lucky enough to get what you wanted the first time around. This wasn't the case for me and hasn't been yet. LOL

I would love to see other people post on this subject if they are interested in doing so. Since Blogger sucketh on photo uploads, this post is in eight parts.

Without further ado, this is the car that I wanted.



This is the car I ended up with.



This car was brown and it didn't last very long. The heads cracked in the engine, whatever that means! Perhaps this happened because I tested the limits of the speedometer. Sorry Mom.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

that's a lot of cars! i learned on a 1987 Toyota Corolla...got my license in 92...went to see fried green tomatoes that night. i believe it was march 12, 1992. then i just used the corolla till it got very old, then i bought a 98 honda civic, then i sold it back to the dealership when i moved to nyc. now i just hoof it everywhere. or take the subway.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

We have no good public transport here.

Californians live in their cars, or so it seems.

My Mom had a Corolla I drove a lot. Was yours hard to steer too?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Haaaaahaaahaa!
I think everybody wanted a 'stang...sigh...
We used to own a '93..we called it The Bugger Jumper because my husband had a nasty habit of "driving" into ditches(ok,driving like an asshole and losing control of the car) and wrecking the rad on abandoned shopping carts!
He says his penis grew 6 inches when he got that car,lmao,so may be,it's just as well you didn't get your dream car;p heeheehee

I don't drive and have get to get my first car BUT I'm hoping mine will be a vintage Bel-Air....

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dream car is a '65 Mustang convertible... cherry red. :)

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first car (which was actually my brothers,) was a 1953 grey dodge...we called her the "grey ghost."
After I spent all my money on a tune up, oil change and new tires my brother came home on leave from the AF and sold it. Sh--!!
My dream car----hmmm for years I wanted a Lexus, but I would really like an Escalade. I had an MG Midget, too small and too much trouble. American driving laws not good for high performance sport cars.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

no, the corolla was pretty flawless, actually. until it got old and started to stall in the rain :(

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home