Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Lord I am So Tired - How Long Can This Go On?

I think that is how the line went anyway. I quote it often enough when I'm working around this house.

There was a commercial on TV today for the hit music of Devo. I think that would be exactly two songs - "Whip It" and "Working In A Coal Mine."

Come on people, buy their stuff. They spent all their money twenty years ago. Be kind to Devo.

There was another blast from the past this week when I was cleaning out my closet. It was an old cassette tape - "Emotions in Motion" by Billy Squier. I used to loooove Billy Squier.

I also heard on the news this week that one of my old favorite groups was getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That would be Blondie. Damn I'm old. Maybe somebody should just shoot me and put me out of my misery now.

I used to joke with my husband that you knew you were old when the TV started showing albums compiled of music hits from your era. That joke went stale about ten years ago when all those "Hits of the 80's" commercials started coming on. It was only funny until it applied to me, as so many jokes are.

Does anyone remember when preachers went through town preaching hell fire and damnation to those who listened to "rock music?" Then they would play the songs backward to demonstrate the hidden messages.

Come on, how many of you ran home and played your albums backward? I know I did.
********************
Driving down the road today, I heard a loud sound.

I rolled down my window to see if it was me. Phew. It wasn't.

The sports car in front of me had a loud engine, that was all. They were tailgating the slow driver in the granny car in front of them.

They turned behind this car and followed them too so I think it was some good old road rage.

Then I started thinking about "roid rage. That is when guys taking steroids get whacked out.

For most people, roid rage is when the tube of Preparation H is missing.
********************
SJ does not like any bathroom business to be done on the side of the door he isn't on. This results in him pounding out in the hallway and yelling, "Open a DOH!"

The other day, he just shrieked, "DOH, DOH, DOH!"

It was like having Homer Simpson in the hallway.

My husband needs the computer and I haven't even got to read all your blogs yet. Crud.

7 Comments:

Blogger EdotR said...

I am a child of the 80's and I am so proud to say it..well, almost..except for the fashions..shoulder pads, and teased hair ain't my thang...

I recently bought Blondie's hits cd...love love love Deborah Harry..I think she is so cool....Britney Spears ain't got nothing on her...

5:44 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

oh..and SJ bathroom preferences...I know that...

I can't even have privacy in the bathroom..Miss C will knock the door down.."open, open...now!!"

5:45 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

tell your husband to hold his horses : )

6:00 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Deborah Harry was a trailblazer as was Chrissy Hynde!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

i like blondie, particularly heart of glass...i added it to my yoga-teaching mix ;) shoulder pads were awful...glad they're gone...otherwise loved the 80s...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Hehehehe,I knew I was old when the music of my youth was suddenly touted as Classic Rock.
WTF??
How did THAT happen??

I loooove Billy Squier;)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Joke said...

I cope by living in a timewarp. My music, my car and outlook on life are all mired in the 1980s.

-J.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home