Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A Trip To The DMV

Today I had to go get my driver's license renewed. I made an appointment online for ten in the morning.

I showed up at nine-fifty like a good little girl.

My two lovely younger children, "A" and "SJ", went with me. I forgot SJ's leash in the car.

Dumb dumb dumb.

I was given a number at the front of the line. (F003) I thought I heard it called immediately, but when I looked up somebody else was walking up to the window I had been paged too.

I took the savages, er children, to a side room with a water fountain to wait. They were noisy like a couple of jungle animals, but we were out of the way. (I will add that "A" knows better than to act that way. She was grounded from taekwondo tonight.)

I kept them contained to the best of my abilities. I heard numbers like H005 and G003 called. Ten minutes went by. It felt like forty-five.

Then I heard F004 and F005. But wait, I was F003. Now I knew what the "F" stood for. I went and got back in line to get a new number.

This was when all hell broke loose.

SJ began running around the DMV and shrieking in glee. I was trying to stay in line and couldn't chase him. "A" was acting like a baboon also. This is the point where I am looking desparate. What does the beeyotch in charge of the line I'm in do? She turns aside to help someone else, leaving me standing there.

Another lady that worked there came up to me and said, "Are those your children?"

"Yes," I reluctantly admitted.

"Well, you need to keep them quiet. People are testing."

I said, "Well, I'm sorry. My son has special needs. If I hold him in place, he will have a tantrum and be just as loud."

She opened a window just for me and whisked me away.

I picked up SJ and held him. He began shrieking at the top of his lungs. I told "A" she'd better sit down or else.

People all over were glaring at me like they had never seen a kid have a tantrum before. Why do people think they have the right to judge the parenting when they know nothing about the situation?

One nice lady at the DMV gave me a blue candy stick for him and that quieted him down. I'm sure it had milk product in it though, as he has the runs tonight. Normally I would have turned it down, but I was desperate.

The lady finished my paperwork. She said, "Meet me at the photo window. I'll take your picture.

As I was backing up, I heard an irritated voice say, "Excuse me. I'm behind you."

A man in a wheelchair was behind me. I apologized. He proceeded to park himself so I was blocked away from the photo window and couldn't get to it.

The lady was at the photo window waiting and I asked, "Excuse me, are you waiting in the photo line?" (Yes, I would have asked this of anyone blocking the way at this point, wheelchair or not.)

He freaking snarled at me, "YES I AM."

Alrighty then.

There was one other person getting a photo done who turned out to be his son. So no, he wasn't in the fucking line. He was just watching his son and blocking me from getting in the line.

Finally, he moved his ass and I got my photo done wearing my best "get me the hell out of here" smile, and then I did get the hell out of there. This was a bit past ten.

I try very hard not to take my son places where I don't have to. I didn't take him to restaurants even before the special diet started. I learned the hard way in October that he couldn't go to special events. (the retirement home fiasco) I can't watch my daughter do taekwondo unless my husband is home to watch him.

But I HAD to go to the DMV and I can't pay a sitter forty dollars every time I need both kids watched.

I need to get a thicker skin and not let these things bug me, I know. There will be many more moments like this.

But why do people have to be so mean?

Yuck.

I felt like crying most of the day and didn't start feeling better until around four.

So now I have unloaded on all of you. Sorry. But I had to unload.

And SJ is crying again so I also have to go. Thank goodness the weekend is almost here.

10 Comments:

Blogger EdotR said...

I feel ya..
People look at you like ur the worst parent in the world..they give u the : "Why do people like this have kids" look.

It's hard..and many times I have cried in the car or want to yell and scream to the people who behave this way:
My child has autism, what's ur excuse for being an ass?

Nevertheless, we must develop thick skins and be brave and sometimes just plain ignore..but I believe some people need to be brought out of their ignorance and need to be put in their place.

I don't know in your area, but over here in Puerto Rico, Miss C qualifies for a Special Line and Parking Permit. The Special Line Permit comes in handy when u have to take ur little ones with u on errands or to offices such as the DMV. By law, with this permit, these offices and other places, such as stores, banks, etc., have to give u and ur child are required to attend u first.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

i'm sorry you had that experience.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*Gasp* You actually WENT to the DMV?
Reading this reminded me that I got a Liscence renewal a couple weeks ago...
In the time it took me to read your blog, I renewed mine online...

8:34 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mary - We don't have anything like that here. One time, a legislator, tried to pass a law to reserve some parking places in the front of the lots for pregnant women. What an uproar there was.

Bearette - thank you.

Techie - I had to go in. They wanted to do the eye test and thumbprint. Trust me, I do everything I can online.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE SOMEBODY COULD USE A BREAK, IF YOU COME DOWN I WILL GLADLY LET YOU SLEEP TIL NOON AND PAMPER YOU (AT LEAST ON THE WEEK-END)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And I will watch "A", Rabbit can take SJ.

12:57 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Sweetie, i plan to go right out, find that grouchy old guy, and push him, IN HIS WHEELCHAIR, under the nearest bus.

You did everything right, you did what you could to keep your kids quiet, and let's face it, WE get bored at the freaking DMV. Why shouldn't the kids? And I'll bet you someone in that place was watching sympathetically, just didn't have the guts to say or do anything. I am almost always that person but from now on, I am going to make myself stop being so darn shy or whatver and at least *offer* my help.

You had to go get your license, it's not like you were ruining someone's romantic dinner.

And I hope the guy's son's license photo turned out terribly! So there!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Babelbabe - you're funny. Thank you for a much needed laugh.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mad Rabbit and Techie - The four hour drive with my kids would surely send me over the edge even before I arrived.

But thanks for the offer. :^)

1:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know where we live if you change your mind.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home