Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Fit Hits The Shan

Well maybe it isn't that bad, but the day started out in a way that nobody wants it to start.

I was up on and off for the second night with little guy. He kept coughing and waking up. One time he woke up and said, "drink of dowa." (soda) I told him we had water on the table near us.

"No - DOWA," he insisted. Then he passed out on my chest. We have been sleeping on the couch so I can keep his head upright.

Then this morning, daughter number one woke me up ten minutes late, I crawled out from under him and went to wake up daughter number two. (Number two - it suits her, ha ha.)

She had migrated to my bed and was crying in pain. Her ears hurt and had hurt all night she wailed to me.

This child has missed a good two weeks of school on and off in the last month and a half. Yikes.

I called her in sick and made a doctor's appointment. I made one for little man too, as we were going to be there anyway. I don't usually make an appointment for a coughing kid, but he can't tell me when anything else is going on. Come to think of it, I do make daughter two appointments when she is coughing because it almost always goes to bronchitis or bronchial spasms.

We got to the doctor's office. I tried to read a magazine while simultaneously keeping my son from climbing in the chairs and adding a broken arm to our list of maladies.

We got in to see the doctor. The girl has a sinus infection and the boy has an ear infection.

So we trudged to the pharmacy at the grocery store, dropped our prescriptions and went shopping.

Does anyone remember my post where I complained about shrinking packaging and rising prices?

Ice cream went from two quarts to one and three-fourths.

Sausage, tofu, and coffee went from 16 ounces to 12.

I've noticed two more mysterious shrinking items.

Bacon is now 12 ounces in some cases.

And didn't chocolate chips used to be sixteen ounces also? They're not now!

As I said before, I want my whole pound, thank you very much. Our grocery bills are high enough without getting ripped off in all these little extra ways.

We finished shopping, put the groceries in the van, and walked back in. Two seconds before I made it to the pharmacy line, a man beat me to it. My kids had already hit their half an hour maximum grocery store time, especially the boy. He was getting turdy. I was feeling like twenty miles of bad road and it was taking forever. Aargh.

But my day could have been worse. When I got home, my friend Joy called. While she was driving down the road, her front passenger side window shattered. Fortunately she wasn't hurt.

In fact, she pulled a piece of glass out of her finger and continuted to yoga class. LOL

She said at first she thought it was a sniper. Then she realized it was a rock. She needed to take her van to the shop to get repaired and to have the glass vacuumed up. I told her if I thought a sniper fired at me, they'd be cleaning up more than glass. Joy needed a ride home from the glass shop that afternoon which was not a problem.

I picked up the kids at school at three o'clock (my oldest daughter, her oldest daughter and my daughter's boyfriend.) We drove to the window shop.

The Delta Bedding store was right next door to the window shop. I went in and browsed. We want to get rid of the bunk bed and get two twins for the two youngest kids. A bunk bed is great if you don't have a three-year old strong enough to pull himself up on it who then proceeds to jump up and down. I caught him halfway down once.

The bed prices at the Delta shop were excellent so I am going bed buying later this week.

What started out a lousy day ended up pretty good.

Between Joy's company and the prospect of some new beds, I'm feeling pretty good.

Now to get these sick kids healed and off to school...

10 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

Off topic, but I found out today that my favorite veggie burgers, Sunshine Burgers, are gluten-free. Since they're vegan, they're probably casein-free too :)

6:37 PM  
Blogger L said...

It sounds like you had a very busy day.
BTW, I love chocolate, have you ever heard of Icecubes that is some of the best chocolate.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - Does Whole Foods sell Sunshine Burgers? I have been intending to go there.

Lore - I have never heard of icecubes, but I will have to google it.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

I mean Lori - not Lore. I have been the typo queen lately.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You are one busy lady! I hope your kids feel better really soon. I'm sure once some meds kick in they will!! GET THEM TO SCHOOL already!! LOL :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Yes! That's where I get them :) Quite tasty.

10:51 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

I liked your post title :)

Hope everyone is healthy soon!

7:21 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

OY! Sorry your kiddos are ill. And painful ills, at that. And TWO prescriptions to keep straight?! ACK!

I love getting new things! I am thinking to put a double on bottom/twin on top bunk in one of the boys' bedrooms (he'll be six soon). Hmm, maybe not. -- we'll have to invest in double sheets. MORE SHEETS in the linen cabinets.

We let the boys jump on the king beds but not the twins. That stops the monkeys-jumping-on-the-bed during the middle of the night. I think.

I totally agree about the incredible shrinking American Packaging! We went to dinner at some friends' house recently, and she had made a pineapple upside-down cake. The can now doesn't have enough slices to cover the bottom of the pan - you have to buy 2 cans! How'da thought?! And you are right; those sonzabitches have shrunk packaging on us. And are charging extra for the privilege, to boot. Grrrrrrrr

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your friend Joy sounds like a yoga badasss. I'm impressed!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Heehee,you have a monkey 3 year old;p
Jiggy was like that,I finally gave up and gave away her crib and high chair because she wouldn't stay put! It was just safer for her to sleep in a toddler bed and sit on my lap and eat,lol

I'm sorry you're losing sleep and have sick kiddos:(

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home