Sunday, June 04, 2006

Date Night

My hubby and I went on a date Saturday night.

SJ was having a tantrum for the sitter when we left so I'm sure she was wishing to be anywhere but here.

He cheered up about ten minutes after we left.

We ate at Chevy's Mexican restaurant. My husband said their chips were perfect and their salsa was good without being hot. (He has stomach issues.)

A lady threw the chips at us and ran off. She wasn't horribly polite and she looked flustered. I was afraid she was going to be our waitress.

My fears were for naught. We had a waiter instead and he was great.

The chips were as wonderful as promised. They had been perfectly salted.

The salsa tasted like fresh tomatoes. Mmmmmm.

We ordered jumbo watermelon margaritas. They were about twice the size of a normal margarita. By the time I finished mine, I was pretty buzzed. So I went ahead and ordered another.

The meal wasn't bad. I wanted to try one of their vegetarian options but they were all heavily dependent on cheese sauce for flavor.

So I had chicken tacos. They were quite spicy. I valiantly managed to eat one but that was my limit.

By the time we left, I was staggering slightly.

Then we went to the local Indian store. My husband's friend, Sri, told us they had rice flour and Medimix, a soap we like.

They not only had rice flour, they had sorghum flour, corn flour and garbanzo bean flour. They were all substantially cheaper than I had been paying at the grocery store.

I purchased five bags of flour, ten bars of Medimix, one bar of sandalwood soap and a soap called Neem that my husband wants to try.

I was so excited and exclaiming so much about the price of the flours, the lady behind the counter must have thought I was daft.

For anybody interested in the price difference go here. (That's my gluten-free blog.)

I highly reccomend going to the local Indian store if you have one.

After the store, we decided to get ice cream. It had to be soft serve.

I had tried so hard to avoid dairy, but ice cream sounded great.

We got chocolate dip tops and ate them sitting in the car. (I didn't want to sit inside the ice cream place - too noisy.)

We got home at 9:30. I gave a bar of soap to the babysitter because she like the way it smelled. I would have liked to tip her but I don't know if we can tip her, since she works for the respite providers. I need to ask. This should have occured to me sooner.

We have been without a sitter for so long, we have become barbarians.

It was a good date. But SJ was up so late after we got home that I desperately need some sleep. I am crabby like a Louie salad.

It is time to lay my head on my pillow.

Ciao!

19 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds like you and hubby had a fun night out together!! ANd those watermelon maargharitas sound delish!! Why do all these different alcoholic drinks sound good to me lately! LOL Maybe I need a binge night or something...hehe

I am glad you had a good time!!

5:13 AM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

You go out on a date and you buy flours?! I thought dates were all about receiving flowers?!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That sounds like a really fun and much needed date I am sure! Yeah..there should have been flowers. I hope he at least put out...
Heehee

8:11 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"...So I ordered another."

Nice move, kiddo.

10:22 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

Watermelon Margaritas...YUMMM...
I need a margarita and a date sans child..!!

As Napoleon Dynamite would say : "Lucky!".

Sure glad u had a great time..u guys deserve it!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm... watermelon margaritas!

12:57 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

I would've been head over feet to find those flours CHEAP, too. Unnerstand, yep I do.

And I get SO MAD when we go out. I spend hours getting the kids and the house ready, a food plan, entertainment options etc. Dh puts on clothes, picks up keys and whines that I'm not ready.

And going out with all four of us? I have been known to lock him OUT of the house as he goes back in. Four.More.Times After we are all in the car! I have also driven off and left him to drive himself to the same venue. So, I now say "The kids and I are leaving at 2:15. If you're in the car, great. If not, you can find your own way there." This is after I've gotten me and the boys ready, prepared a dish to take, purchaesd a bouquet or some hostess gift, gassed up the vehicle, bagged changes of clothes, sippies, snack, whatever for the kids, made sure the house is locked up, etc. Why the husband has to run back 4 times is a mystery to me. But I don't participate anymore. End of anger.

It sounds like you had a great date night. I don't know about tipping the respite providers, either. But I think giving her a bar of soap was a nice thing to do.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Mmm,it sounds like a wonderful date:) You've got me craving mexican!

Good on ya for the great finds in the indian store. I love getting a deal too!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great night & I hope you got some much deserved rest!:D

A miracle happened & I got to go on a date last night.

I enjoy finding good deals on things too.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I'm glad you got to go out. I remember the days when it took so much work just to get everything prepared to go out.

Watermelon margaritas? I've never tried one. I just drink the regular kind with lots of crushed ice. I'm clinking glasses to another night out for you soon!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Chelle - I wish you lived closer. I would binge with you.

Vernicious - :D

Kristin - Get your mind out of the gutter. LOL

Old Horse - A buzz is a horrible thing to waste.

Mary - Thanks

Liz - They were scrumptious.

Vickee - Yikes. He sounds fun to get to go anywhere.

Ms. L - I love garage sales too!

Crazed - I'm glad you got a night out.

PJ - I'll toast to that.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

Yeah for you! I'd love a date night...but fear we'd have nothing to say!!!!

9:33 PM  
Blogger weirdbunny said...

sound like you had a fab night out!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Cari - Getting drunk helps.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Weirdbunny,

I love your name. My MIL is mad rabbit.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Weirdbunny is a great name!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I get very excited when I see other married couples have a date night. Yeah for you and hubby. Sounds like a wonderful night.
Now I am going to bug mine some more for a night out. It has been almost a year now.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like such fun! As for the Indian store, Ive been buying some things online from this Indian & British foods website. Its at www.spicyusa.com. Theyve got soaps, flours, and things for much better prices than any regular store. The best thing is they deliver to my home in just a couple of days. Hope this helps!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ive been a user of Chandrika and Medimix soap ever since I visited South India. Ive been buying it at www.spicyusa.com. Ive been getting several Indian things from there as well since there is no store near me. Theyre prices and service are excellent.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home