Friday, June 30, 2006

They're Coming To Take Me Away - Ha Ha

Today the two youngest children and I went to Safeway. It has been remodeled recently. There is now a Starbucks inside and the store looks more upscale.

In order to keep SJ in the cart, I had bribed him with the promise of a soda to drink if he didn't try to escape. In the past, there has been a soda machine just inside the entrance. The cups were always next to it. It was easy to fill the cup, hand it to the little extortionist, and start shopping.

But now there is a deli counter and the cups are behind it. I had no idea that things had changed to that extent. Of course there was a line of people waiting to get sandwiches. In order to get a blasted cup, I had to wait in the line.

Did I mention we had to pick up my oldest from summer school in about 20 minutes?

I walked off to where the refrigerated sodas were only there were no refrigerated sodas anymore. WTH!

So back to the counter I went. Thankfully, the line hadn't gotten longer. I waited in line to buy two sodas which I wouldn't have bothered with except I had promised! I commented to the clerk that I had liked it better when the cups were at the machine.

"So did we," he said, "but too many people were walking out with the sodas."

I assumed I would have to pay for the soda there so he would be assured I wouldn't walk out. I pulled out my ATM card.

"Do you have shopping to do?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"You can pay for it when you check out," he said.

WHAT! Okay, so now I have to wait in a line to get my cup BUT I don't have to pay for it there. If I'm inclined to steal a soda, I am prevented how?

Don't you love pretzel logic?

Yeesh.

6 Comments:

Blogger Crazedmomof4 said...

They're just keeping you on your toes & making sure shopping with a child is hell for ya!They're nice that way! :D

8:25 AM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Lovely. Truly pretzel logic.

10:57 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Pretzel Logic, precisely.
Bring your own cup next time. With the prices they charge at the NEW Safeway, you will pay for that sip o soda many times over in one trip. Our Safeway gives 10cents off each gallon of gas for $50 of groceries. They completely know how overpriced their offerings are, but they are the only game around.

I think grocery stores that are that big should offer free coffee, snacks for the little ones and a lounge area. I never make it up and down the aisles; I go around the edges like a rat and leave bewildered and alot poorer.

2:54 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Uh...Duh...

Say, is Safeway the only store where you can get a soda?

4:06 PM  
Blogger EdotR said...

Ok. I am now officially dumbfounded.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Pretzel logic. Love it...

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home