Sunday, July 16, 2006

Puppies Are Here

WARNING - This post is graphic so don't read it if you are squeamish! We lost one puppy and it's sad too.

Mandy started refusing food last night and acting listless so I drove her to the emergency vet.

Once we were there, he took her temperature and said she would probably whelp within the next 24 hours. He x-rayed her belly and counted seven puppies. Yowza!

I drove her home. We stopped at Safeway to get a large box for whelping.

When we got home, I let her out to go to the bathroom and set up her whelping box. I got little man down to sleep around ten-thirty. I checked Mandy and she was just laying there.

I fell asleep for an hour and checked her at 11:30. I woke up and checked her again at 12:30. She was still laying there.

I fell asleep again, for too long this time.

Boots came and whined by the bed. I went down the hallway and heard puppy noises. I went in the bathroom and there were already three. One was still stuck in the sack though and not breathing.

I broke it out of the sack. Those sacks are amazingly strong. I could have used a knife but I was hurrying. I rubbed the puppy really hard. I thumped its chest. I did mouth to mouth. I was just too late.

If I had slept on the bathroom floor, that never would have happened. I believe that mistakes are a learning experience, but the fact that a puppy lost its life because I was an idiot, well there are no words for that.

I woke my husband up to help. He gave the puppy mouth to mouth also. Then he started helping me with the fourth one that had arrived.

The rest is kind of a blur. Mandy chewed the cords too short on some of them. They were bleeding and we tied them off with dental floss.

Mandy seemed depressed; who could blame her? When the fifth one came, she wasn't pushing it all the way out. I broke it out of the sack, but it wasn't moving much and it was still tethered inside her by the umbilical cord. I had to put my finger in her vagina and stroke it to help her have contractions. (This is called "feathering.")

After that puppy came out, she started pushing the next one. The amniotic fluid came out. I couldn't see the puppy. She quit pushing again. I did more feathering. She pushed it out farther but it was also tethered and not moving much. I broke the sack and did more feathering, but she wasn't pushing. My husband gently pulled and the cord and placenta came out. Phew.

We had a total of six live puppies. We had to tie another cord that she had gotten overzealous with.

My son woke up. I got him back to sleep and then I changed Mandy's bedding. The puppies seemed cold and I needed a shower. I took it in the bathroom they were in to warm it up.

After I got dressed, I went to check on them. She kept obsessively licking a puppy. I assumed she was chewing off dental floss and tried to discourage her. Then I noticed she was chewing off brand new cord.

She had pushed out an extra puppy that we didn't know was in there. So then there were seven.

During the whole ordeal, Boots paced back and forth like a father outside the delivery room. It was touching. He was the hero of the day for waking me up. If he hadn't, I'm not sure more than three would have lived.

So I am excited and depressed at the same time. I did lots of things I never dreamed I was capable of doing.

I'm a doggie Grandma! We're not out of the woods yet, but with luck, all seven will make it.

I'll continue posting pictures as they grow.

21 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

so sad that one of them died...but it's not your fault! i can't wait to see the pictures.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

It is my fault. I'm willing to own it.

Next time I will know better. Poor puppy.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Marste said...

I'm sorry. ::::hugs:::: I know that mistakes are a learning experience, and I understand why you feel responsible, but sometimes things also happen for a reason. It might even have been that there was something wrong with the puppy.

My sister saved a sparrow once that had been pushed out of its nest by the mom. It's a long story, but suffice it to say it had all kinds of problems, both physically and mentally. In the end, we kept it as a pet (it would have died in the outdoor wilds of suburbia), but we should have allowed it to die in the beginning. It had a pretty hard life.

So . . . I know it's cold comfort, but it's possible that there was a reason for it to die.

But I'm still sorry you lost one. ::::hugs again::::

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Awww,but you didn't know..it was your first time.You can't help what you don't know. I would feel the same way too though,so I'll shut up except to say,I'm so sorry Carolyn:(

Boots sure is a special dog.
Congratulations Grammy,on your babies! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that all will go well. I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing about this new and exciting experience.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Please don't be so hard on yourself, thanks to you there are 7 puppies and you are a good dog mom. A good mom period.

I'm sending you a hug and a big pat on the back.

2:10 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Oh, I'm just amazed that you have SEVEN! She might have lost most of them, Carolyn. It's good that you were there to help her. They sure are gorgeous! Is one all black?!

I bet you end up with one or two of those puppies for keeps. They are beautiful!

I am working on my K. He has said NO and I Mean It! twice. He said that about moving too, and we moved. But somehow a dog seems bigger....

4:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You did GREAT, "Grandma"! :)

7:15 PM  
Blogger L said...

You did a wonderful job Carolyn wow 7 puppies, you are a good dog mom being there for her and helping her.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Crazedmomof4 said...

I have to agree with everyone else!

You Did a great job & you have 7 grandpuppies to show for it.

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, when my dog had her puppies my mom and I were with her the entire time, delivering all of them from the very beginning. There were 8 originally. One was born full-sized but not breathing. My mom did mouth-to-mouth for 15 minutes, but it didn't help.

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. It's nature.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Carolyn---As the others have said, don't be so hard on yourself. Dogs have large litters for a reason; it's natural and common for one or more to be stillborn.

Congratulations on becoming a "Grandma" to all those puppies. They are adorable! Are they Bostons?

6:20 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Awww, thanks everyone. I feel a bit better.

And next time I will know better.

Marste - Was the sparrow's name "Jack"?

Lisa - They are Bostons.

Vicki - They're all black and white. I was hoping for a brown and white one, but probably would need a brown and white one for that. And we're not keeping even one. Between Heartgard, Frontline and food, two are too expensive.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Vicki - I meant I would need a brown and white parent. Need more coffee still.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Congrats on your grand puppies! SO SO adorable. Don't feel bad. I understand it is rare for all the puppies to make it, especially when there are that many. You should feel proud. You're a hero not an idiot!
SO CUTE!!!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I LOVE Bostons! I had one when I was growing up---for 17.5 years. Good thing I don't live close to you or I'd be stealing one or two or seven of those pups!

11:20 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

What do you mean you're a Grandma. That's absolutely forbidden for at least ten more years. Do you understand?

Just say you're a foster Mom.

2:03 PM  
Blogger EdotR said...

I'm sorry you lost one..but between you and I, I think you did an amazing job!!

They are sooo sooo cute!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally have a new respect for you Carolyn. (Not that I didn't respect you before...) I think it is REALLY cool that you took the time to learn and prepare yourself for the puppies. Most people would have figured things would go easy and not worried about preparing.. and even tried with the one puppy, and then when she was having trouble-- how you helped. That's really great, and I respect that. Kudos! And good luck with the puppies!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're the "Pupigramom" hehe.

Just one more thing....

I guess nobody won the bet huh? 6 was the highest, right?

4:00 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Techie-

You are correct. Nobody one the bet.

I wish that we had eight live puppies though. :(

4:13 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

Wow, that was an intense read!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home