Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Vacation, Part Two

Before we left for vacation, I made a Costco run. I was looking for some sausages I had purchased earlier, to no avail. They were gluten/casein free and organic too, I think.

One thing I did find at Costco was a new mixer. It was a Hamilton Beach Power Deluxe Stand Mixer for twenty-five dollars.

My last mixer was killed by gluten-free bread mixing so I needed a new one.

I stirred my bread and put it in the mixing bowl. After two minutes, the mixer started making a funny sound. Then smoke came from the motor. Mixer number two was officially history.

This posed a dilemna as I was planning on making my MIL a surprise birthday cake while we were camping.

But I didn't have time for a new one so we hit the road.

Day three of our vacation rolled around and I still didn't have a mixer. My husband googled the nearest Target on his laptop and it wasn't far up the road.

My MIL and I went to Target and split up. I purchased a mixer and a birthday card then went and found her.

When we got back to our site, I went in my own trailer and made a gluten-free cake with my new mixer. The mixer actually stayed alive. I give it three more batches before it goes kaput.

I baked the cake, and then my husband and I took the kids to Big Sur while it cooled. When we got back, I frosted it. Then I put on a candle shaped like a black grave marker that said "Too Old Too Count."

She was really surprised. It could have been because her birthday was the next day. Since we were leaving town the next day, I wouldn't have had time then. Another thing that surprised her was that the cake tasted good.

I love my Gluten-Free Gourmet cookbook. I really do.

We had to leave Friday. We took most of Friday morning to pack up. My husband and I did take a brief drive to Monterey to buy some fudge for my mother. I got some for my MIL too and a bit for us.

We buckled up the kids and hit the road. That was when the real fun began.

No road trip is complete without whining and shrieking. They were tired and bored and by the time we got home, I was wondering why I had ever wanted children.

And then the RV had to be unloaded. Yuck.

Thank goodness my house was clean.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

too old to count...LOL. i think that is the 3rd time you made me laugh out loud today :) i will just read your blog whenever i am down.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Well, thank you.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Crazedmomof4 said...

I wonder on a daily bases why I wanted kids.LOL!!!

Ask your Mom to babysit the camper.

Seriously, you guys all sound fun! That was nice of you to get your MIL a cake & fudge.

Too bad about the mixers. Do you always go through them like that?
I did that once with peanut butter cookie dough because I increased the recipe. I will never increase it again.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Crazed - The gluten-free goods are really thick. They literally climb the mixer.

I know, babies are so cute, but then they get older. :D

9:29 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

SOunds like another wonderful family trip. I wonder why I ever wanted kids sometimes. Then they fall asleep and look all angelic and for a brief moment I remember.
MMMMMM....fudge.

8:52 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

baking cakes and the whole 9...wow!!

sounds like you had a nice time!

11:40 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

ONLY YOU would take a mixer in an RV. You are supposed to take freeze-dried stuff! Aren't you?

Actually, the last time we camped, my husband brought this huge 2-burner and made a complete vegetarian meal. In every photo, I am seated. Along with the dog. Dh set up a big tent, then he unpacked the car and cooked. Then he cleaned up. Then we went to bed. But - we forgot blankets, sleeping bags and pillows! I hogged the heat source -- the dog -- and stole all his warmth, falling asleep and pushing dh off the blow-up bed. Finally at 1 a.m. he was too cold to stay any longer. He quickly packed us up, broke down camp and off we drove - with me and the dog snoring away.

I'm glad you guys had a pretty good time. It's great to get away. Great to come home, too! And why is it always so exciting to load up the RV? How can we always forget what a stye it is later on?!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home