Sunday, August 13, 2006

Total Money Makeover

My husband and I are reading "The Total Money Makeover", which was reccomended to me by Ms. L of Those Weird Home Schoolers.

While I won't share all the details of the book, the reader is encouraged to get rid of some of the extra things they don't need.

For us, that would be the minivan. As my husband said, continuing to keep it is the equivalent to playing a game of Russian Roulette.

I went in the garage and cleaned the dash, the seats and all the nooks and crannies. My husband vaccumed it all over with the shop vac. (He found my favorite sunglasses. Sweet!) My husband washed the outside. I wiped it down.

I cleaned out the glove box except for the owner's manual and our proof of insurance. Then we drove to the nearest CarMax to sell the damn thing.

On the way there, I felt as if the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders.

My husband found a gentleman to give us a quote. He came out to the van. Guess what! We needed the registration to get a quote. DUH!

In my glovebox cleaning enthusiasm, I had put the registration in the house.

My husband stayed with the van while I drove the 1/2 hour home. I had to stop for gas on the way so that added ten minutes.

I called my husband when I got home while I was searching for the registration. The only problem was that when I looked at it, it was an old one.

No problem. I went to the place where we keep our bills and started thumbing through. There it was!

Only it wasn't a registration. It was the papers to send in to get registered AND a smog check was due. This wouldn't have been a huge problem if our deadline wasn't July 28th. Oops.

Methinks a little bit more organization is called for here.

There's always next week.

Me + a money makeover = you can lead a horse to water. But I will persevere. I promise.

15 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

yeah, there's always the danger of streamlining too much :) i did that with my wallet...took lots of things out...turns out i *need* my library card and gym card.

6:16 PM  
Blogger verniciousknids said...

The important thing is to start...and you've done that, so you are halfway there!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

I always lose more things when I actually do clean up!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

The longest journey begins eith one step, Grasshopper.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

with... with one step. Geez!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

"I really like chocolate. I'm suspicious of those who don't."

I swear I have a package of Laura Secord french and frosted mint chocolates open beside me. (And I'll admit to some Pringles potato chips too, but that's it.) Does that mean I'm allowed to stay?

To Love, Honor and Dismay

8:19 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Uh, boy...we've done that too. Only it was K's driver license - and it was over a year expired.
Which meant every time he drove, he was Not Insured.
For over a year.
That was scary.
So, is the car Hystory?

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. The minivan clearly wants to remain with you!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

We really are kindered spirits. I am constantly losing my bills. It horrifies my husband.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Andrew - You may stay

9:20 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - I'd hate to go to the gym and get turned back.

Vernicious - True.

Cari - I can sometimes find stuff easier in my cluttery piles than when I organize.

PJ - You don't have to correct. I knew what word you meant.

Vickee - We have to get it smogged and tagged. THEN it's history.

Liz - I hope it's not a "till death do us part" kind of thing.

Kristen - I've lost bills too. One time I forgot to pay the car payment for three months because I had misplaced the payment book. That went over well.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

YAY for you guys!
Organizaion isn't my strong suit either,lol
Baby Steps;p
So are you liking the book??

We've already had to use our emergency fund on a new car battery...stupid thing.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

hehe...they actually looked me up in the computer (at the gym) and it was ok. but i made sure to put the card back in my pocketbook.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Smogged and tagged? Is that what the kids are calling it now?

8:31 PM  
Blogger DEBTective said...

Dollface, I'm proud of you for amputating the lifestyle and living on a budget. It'll pay off down the road after you've deep-sixed your debt. Good luck and way to go, baby! www.debtective.com

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home