Thursday, December 28, 2006

My Parents Took Me to the ER and All I Got Was This Stupid IV

Dear Santa,

I said I wanted an "RV", an "RV".

On Friday the 22nd, at 2am, SJ woke me up, and then vomited in my bed.

By six am, he seemed fine except for some diarrhea. Although about the fourth time, he had to go, he called it "hot poopins."

This will enter our vocabulary of kid-invented words along with, "sloppy jones, mountain doom and forkhead."

On and off over the next few days, he repeatedly seemed to get better than worse.

Then around three o'clock on Christmas day, he vomited again. This time it went all over the in-laws bed and their rug and their dresser.

After his post-vomit bath, he fell asleep.

When he woke up, he started crying and screaming, "My belly's broken." There were no tears coming out and he very rarely complains of pain, so we knew it was ER time.

One of the first things we had to explain when we got there, was that he was autistic. I now firmly believe that emergency rooms should affix a scarlet letter "A" on the foreheads of autistic children. This saves the parents from having to explain it at least five more times.

While we waited to be seen, he cried and said, "Ow, ow, ow."

When we went in, they told us that he needed an iv because he was dehydrated. They were also going to put some medicine in the iv for his cramping. He also needed a stomach x-ray and blood tests.

The iv went over about as well as one would expect. The nurse that did the iv was kind enough to take blood at the same time, thus saving him from two needle pricks.

We stayed in the room for a while waiting for the x-ray. He was then unhooked from the iv bag and rode on his Dad's lap to the x-ray room. I had to wait outside while his Dad tried to coax him into unnatural positions on the machine.

While I was waiting, a different tech walked by and asked me if I was waiting for the ultrasound room.

Yeah I get it jerko. I've eaten way too many Christmas cookies.

After the stomach x-ray, we went back to the room. A nurse came in and forced some slimy, green medicine down SJ's throat. It smelled as bad as it looked and he shrieked the whole time.

Then the doctor told us he needed a cat scan because there were gas bubbles in his small intestine. Since he had to hold still for eight minutes for the cat scan, we had to have him put under.

More bloody murder screaming commenced when he felt the ketamine being put through his iv.

After the cat scan, he was hooked up to the saline again while we waited for him to come around.

The doctor brought us the good news that he was quite sure he didn't have appendicitis, just the stomach flu.

SJ woke up and we took him home. Then we got him to bed.

Did he punish us the next morning? You betchya!

I have to say that other than the ER trip, we really did have a lovely Christmas.

18 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Oh, Carolyn! See I told you you deserve a treat.

I'm glad "other than the ER" everything was lovely.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Oooooh your poor little guy what an ordeal!
I'm glad he's ok and that you survived the ER.
That will be a Christmas to remember huh?lol

I'm happy the rest of it was good:)

3:42 PM  
Blogger velcro said...

Ohhhh boy. Your poor wee boy and poor poor you. I am so glad that it turned out ok but still, ugh what a horrible time for you.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

i have to ask...what is mountain doom? is that a donner party type scenario??

i'm sorry about sj's er visit, but glad he doesn't have appendicitis.

and what is ketamine, btw?

4:32 PM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

Oh my, I feel for you!!!!! Glad you were able to make it through and you weren't there alone!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Poor SJ! Poor Carolyn! I'm glad the rest of your Christmas made up for the ER visit.

I'm guessing Mountain Doom is Mountain Dew? And forkhead....I think that one is self-explanitory. ;)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Crazedmomof4 said...

Poor Little guy & poor Mom & Dad!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

roxanne, you're right...c sent me an email explaining the mountain dew/doom :)

9:00 PM  
Blogger EdotR said...

Oh man..what a mess...

I'm glad he's ok..but I can imagine the hell..

I've been through that..

and doctors can be a real treat!!

I hope you can manage some rest ..in between telling doctors that you're not there for an ultrasound...

7:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

WOW!! Give yourself a huge pat on the back for that one. Better yet, go sign yourself up for a visit to the masseuse.

When they say motherhood is not for wimps I think this is what they were talking about.

I'm glad you're all better now, though. Here's a BIG HUG OOOOO. (Pre-internet style) Here's one internet style ((()))

7:44 AM  
Blogger L said...

OMG poor SJ, is he feeling better.
You deserve a foot massage and a chocolate pie after that ordeal.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Hope SJ is feeling better! Glad that your Christmas was good other than the ER visit.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh man...what a night you all had!! I'm glad it only turned out to be the stomach flu and nothing worse...but still....wow!! I hope he is back to normal and that you had a very nice Christmas :)

Happy New Year :)

11:32 PM  
Blogger Stomper Girl said...

Poor SJ and the hot poopins and the hospital torture. Poor parents too. Glad you managed some Christmas cheer in and around that.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Oh Carolyn, you poor thing! I am sorry you had to do that on Christmas. Isn't that the way it always is with kids? Get some good rest. I hope SJ is doing better.

8:54 AM  
Blogger badgerdaddy said...

Hot poopins is now in my vocabulary. For good. I shall explain it to SLF later, and together we will try and introduce it to the whole country...

9:10 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Hey Badgerdaddy,

Maybe we can get it on wikipedia! :D

9:16 AM  
Blogger My float said...

Hot poopins - hilarious!
Everything else? Not so funny. Poor little thing, to be sick at Christmas. At least he brightened up just in time for the delivery of presents!!

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home