Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Thank You

Thanks everyone for being so supportive of me. It meant a lot. I was very much afraid to post that particular blog entry and my fears were unfounded.
********************
My cousin "K", who lives in Maine is in the hospital right now. She's pregnant with twins.

They each weigh around five pounds, which is good. However, she has started some mild contractions and needs to stay in the hospital in case the babies have to be delivered quickly.

"K", I'm rooting for you and your soon to be born boys!
********************
Since it's that time of year, I have been remembering Christmases past. I would like to post a few memories.

My cousin John and I were two years apart. One Christmas we got identical toy trucks with cages on the back and plastic zoo animals in them. One of us got red and one of us got blue. They were small toys, but they were a huge hit. I can't remember who got red and who got blue. I'm betting on the fact I got the blue since blue was my favorite color. Otherwise, I would still be remembering the injustice of it all.

One Christmas season there was a commercial for an igloo builder. It was a hollow plastic block that you put snow in. The concept was that you could make perfect snow blocks and build an igloo. I got it for Christmas. Hooray! Only it didn't work. My igloo dreams were crushed.

My Aunt Beth, who was four years older than me, received one of those advertised on TV presents too. It was a little pair of plastic skis. We tried to go down a snowbank on them. They were yet another one of those things that looked SO cool on TV but didn't translate to real life. Or maybe it was because I am so clumsy.

One year I snooped and found a toy telephone before it was wrapped. Another year I snooped and found some Breyer horses. When I opened the horses, it wasn't as much fun as if I hadn't known about them. That was the year I realized it's more fun to be surprised.

What are some of your best Christmas memories?

6 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

I think a lot of the TV-commercial toys were total crap ;)

My favorite Christmas present was my childhood dog, Pepper. They gave me the collar and leash first, but I didn't catch on...I thought they were "adjustable belts." I just wasn't expecting a dog...though she was perfect.

11:38 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

"My igloo dreams were crushed".

That quote is priceles...

My favorite X-mas memories...seeing my parents in happier times under our tree placing our gifts...

Having Santa respond to my letter. I knew it was my dad, but knowing that he took the time to write and eat the cookies and milk, made my X-mas and my brother's worthwhile..

11:49 AM  
Blogger My float said...

Christmas has always been a bit of a stressful time for my family because my dad's a control freak who gets really uptight (read: lots of screaming) when we're expecting visitors. Add to that the fact that he doesn't believe in the whole Christmas thing because in our culture, St Basil (equivalent of St Nick) came some time in January. Plus my mum tends to faint under stress. Boy, wasn't Christmas a hoot at our house when I was growing up!

My favourite Christmas was last year. My son was almost two and was very excited about all the crackly wrapping paper. The presents? Not so much. But this year promises to be a corker. Because now, at almost three, he "gets" the fact that he's going to get presents.

Plus last year I had a new sister in law and consequently a happy brother. And really, you can't ask for much more than that. My mum and dad are still nuts. But that's ok.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

I remember every year looking for the presents...even though I basically knew they were in my mom's closet, up top, way in the back. She was pretty good about wrapping them right away. But one year we saw the atari games..so we knew we were finally getting an atari...go frogger!

6:16 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

I will build you an igloo, Carolyn.

I remmeber a dress with a flowered skirt and a velvet ropebelt I wore for Christmas Eve services; I remember my aunt and uncle coming over Christmas night, with one more present for each of us; I remember the year my dad built me a dollhouse for my barbies, oout of cardboard cartons from the grocery store, decorated with carpet and wallpaper samples.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Crazedmomof4 said...

I remember wanting one of those igloo makers but didn't get one. So I guess I didn't miss out!

I always snooped & I still enjoyed opening the gifts. BUt I hate surprises! I like to be prepared! BUt I am sure you know I'm Odd!!!
:D

Have a great Holiday if I don't get a chance to comment again, before hand.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home