Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Downfall of a Diet

Unlike most everybody else on planet earth, I didn't make a New Year's resolution to lose weight.

In fact, I didn't make a single resolution. It feels like I am failing at something in my life on a daily basis. Why muck up the pot even worse?

Another big reason I didn't make a resolution to lose weight, was I had started back in 2006. I was bumping along more or less successfully until October, the beginning of the holiday season or in other words the "eat like you're going to hibernate all winter" season.

It started out innocently enough. My youngest daughter was off track from school. I could no longer push my son to pre-school in his stroller. Even though his sister is seven, and should be able to stay in the ditch, she has an inability to do so. It's as if there is a huge magnet in the middle of the road and she is made of metal. She naturally gravitates toward that center line.

So my main form of exercise ended.

Then the candy began going on sale, sweet sweet candy.

Bags of Reeses were two-dollars and fifty cents. How could I pass that up?

I purchased them weeks before Halloween, smug with the realization that I could keep out of them. After all, I had been doing great on the diet up to that point.

After I went through the first few bags, I purchased more Reeses. I was sick of Reeses. Surely I couldn't eat more.

After I went through the next few bags, I purchased more. After all, HALLOWEEN WAS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. Maybe we would even get trick or treaters this year. We didn't.

I rolled into November (literally) promising myself to do better and I did, for about a week. But my goodness, the food is everywhere. All the magazines have new recipes to try. The food section of the paper is brimming with ideas.

And it was cold outside. Is there anything like pigging out on a hearty soup (and everything else in sight) when it's cold outside?

Plus I was extremely busy. Who has time to measure their food protions when they are so busy?

By the time I was feeling more stuffed than the turkey, Christmas blew in.

I promised myself I wasn't going to bake this year. I always feel overwhelmed at Christmas anyway without baking for my husband's co-workers and the local postal worker and the person who delivers the newspaper and...

But guilt got the best of me and I baked. Then I remembered some more people who needed to be baked for so I did it again. Then I was invited to a cookie exchange party so I did it again. And I had to sample all the goodies to make sure they were safe for human consumption!

Before I knew it December was over. I was miserable and lumpy and vowed to do better in January.

Only I didn't realize that I had established a pattern. I have turned into a cow; I'm grazing all damn day long and I resemble one too.

Aargh!

Tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow is a new day.

Please, oh please let me not blow it any more.

Else I will begin an acting career. Maybe there's room for one more in those "Great Cheese Comes from Happy Cows. Happy Cows Come from California" commercials.

MOO!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's a new year.
Try something different!
I have no idea what 'different' is for you, but maybe a yoga class, or something? Buying 'special' foods, just for you? And you've also had alot of difficult stuff just happen. I'd cut myself alot of slack, were I you.
MsCellania

6:07 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

Oh boy do I understand! Winter is such an awful time with the weather and darkness that my body goes into "hibernation mode" and craves carbs and sweets. Like you said tomorrow is a new day.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Totally off topic, where's your profile pic?

And what MsCell said. From afar, it seems you have had A LOT on your plate (no pun intended) in life this fall...

Be kind to yourself. Hmmm, maybe I should take that advice--my downfall is the crappe that clutters the floors of this garret--the self-hatred comes out in tiny spurts when I can't find a clean long sleeve shirt...

Guilt is not the answer. Give yourself some grace and yes, fun GOOD food. (I so need to listen to this advice I'm giving out...)

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a lot going on lately. So many people gain weight during times of stress... try not to beat yourself up.

I made only one resolution, and so far I have a 100% failure rate.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Well thanks for pokin' your head out again Caro!

I too overindulged but I have to say so what?! I'm being better now and there are too many other things to worry about. It seems if I dwell on it I eat more than I would if I just leave it alone and only eat when I'm hungry.

Or, every time you want a cookie or whatever you can take your clothes off and look at yourself in the mirror, of course if I did that I'd never eat again.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

lol,and a big ole MOO right back at ya!
This just a blip,you're still gonna kick my ass by April,I know it!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let her kid ya. She looks great and has more won't power than she lets on. We all need our guilty little pleasures from time to time. If I had to live with all the stuff you do I would rival the Hindenburg. Oh wait, I do.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Year's Resolutions stink. All they do is bring on the guilt by the end of January. Just do your best, one day at a time.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

MsCellania - I do need to join a gym.

Bookworm - So far so good today.

SL - I deleted it. As sick as I was of seeing it, I assumed everyone else was 1000x sicker. And I like your no pun intended comment. That was funny.

Liz - Resolutions are dangerous things.

Paula - If I did that, all the mirrors in the house would crack!

Ms. L. - Without your support I wouldn't have gotten this far.

Mad Rabbit - LMAO.

Anonymous - If this is my best, I'd hate to see my worse.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

Do you have Comcast on demand? The fitness channel has these quick workouts......and a whole category of them are done by the Girls Next Door. So I'm wondering if I work out for 15 minutes each day, will I actually look like those playboy bunnies?????

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home