Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Cell Phone Suckage

A few years ago my husband and I decided to find the cheapest cell phone service possible.

It helps immensely that I don't need to take pictures, shoot video or download ring tones on my cell phone.

It may be strange, but I only want to use my cell phone to make phone calls. This makes me a dinosaur, I'm sure of it.

We purchased tracfones because the minutes didn't have to be added every 30 days. We can wait 60 days. It was actually possible, with careful planning, to spend no more than ten dollars a month.

The only bad thing was adding the airtime. You had to go online and punch in your phone's code and then punch in a bunch of other codes. It took forever and there was a lot of margin for error, what with punching in all the freaking numbers.

Tracfone finally heard the complaints and adjusted the process so one had only to punch in the phone's code and one other set of numbers.

Today I went online to add minutes. I received a confirmation number, which I didn't print, my "duh" moment for the day.

I then hit the next button and there was no code to punch in. The website said that I had successfully added airtime only there was no airtime added on my phone.

I decided to give them an hour and then call if the minutes didn't appear.

Only when I was ready to call, I had to wait for my husband to get off the computer. I had to cook dinner and take my daughter to taekwondo.

At last the chores were done and the computer was mine.

I checked the bank online to see if Tracfone had debited my account. They had.

I then called Tracfone.

The VERY MINUTE I made my way through the labryinth of voice mail and got a REAL LIVE PERSON, my son decided to have a tantrum in my ear.

The person on the other end sounded a bit like they were in another country, one that was situated UNDERWATER.

I finally gave up and told them I would call back when my son was done with his fit.

My husband got to watch the son and I dialed again. I decided to try the automatic tech support.

Only when I punched in my phone's code, I was told to "wait for a customer service representative."

I heard someone pick up the phone and hang it up.

I called back and sat through voice mail hell AGAIN!

It was only to hear this. "We're sorry. Our customer service center is closed for the day. Please call back tomorrow."

BASTARDS!

I went in the kitchen and crammed three slices of homemade bread with peanut butter down my throat.

That'll show 'em.

22 Comments:

Blogger My float said...

Argh!! I can feel your frustration. Good thing you got 'em with those sandwiches!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I hate phones! I love peanut butter though. You go girl!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

My thought exactly.

BASTARDS!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Ty said...

We're with Verizon. I. HATE. THEM.

We've had so many problems since renewing our contract last June, it took us 6 months to get our plan straight.

My son has a pay as you go Virgin Mobile and you don't have to Top-Up monthly, it's like every 3 months and it's easy to do so you might want to try them out.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets go back to the land line and the tin can with the string attached if we feel we must make conversation outside the house. Cell phones scare me. I have mine for emergencies so I rarely turn it on unless I am expecting a call.

Can you say Dinosaur??

9:57 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

My Float - Now I can go smash them with my fat belly. Mwahahahahaha

Roxanne - I like peanut butter way too much. It's so yummy.

Paula - Hee hee

Ty - That doesn't sound bad. Of course I'd have to buy a new phone and it might have scary stuff on it like photo-taking capabilities.

MR - You're worse than me. :)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Aaahhh!! how frustrating.

i don't like any fancy frippery on my cell phone, either.

11:39 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You sound surprised. Why is that?

7:00 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

I have Verizon and they are okay. I do actually take pictures and add ringtones. I use text messaging a lot with my sister. I can send her a message like pick up milk and not have to worry about bothering her at work.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - I like the expression "fancy frippery."

Old Hoss - I wasn't surprised, just aggravated. It gave me a good excuse to pig out though. :)

Bookworm - I just learned to text message but I don't know how to do lower case so it looks like I'm yelling.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Joke said...

Was the peanut butter homemade?

-J.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Yep,

I grew the peanuts myself.

:)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

oh man!! That s horrible!!!!!!! ANd so frustrating!! I bet you wanted to crawl through that phone and strangle smeone...lol Well, I would have wanted to anyway...hehe

But hey..the homemade bread withpeanut butte sounds delish!! Yummy!

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find creamy peanut butter more pleasing than chunky when it comes to cramming.

6:44 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

That'll show em...really!! next time I'm sure they'll put a human on the line....or it's jelly added on to that bread!!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Chelle - It was gluten-free. I like it, but not everyone does. More for me.

Liz - I always buy creamy but now you have me dreaming of chunky again. Hmmmm.

Mary - That's right. Bring on the jelly!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

I'm with you on the cellphone thing... but my husband did as a joke programme my phone to bock like a chicken...I was so very embaressed as I had no idea it was my phone,,,
Anyway I digress...my phone is used for emergencies only,,,

11:03 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

We still have ancient 6 yo slippery Nokia phones - and they are Just Phones. No photo, no movie, no radio. We refuse to upgrade due to being hornswoggled to sign up for another 2 years. Instead? We continue on with our ridiculous first contract, paying some ungodly amount for minutes we never use.
And this makes Perfect Sense to us.
Pass the homemade bread, please.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Mmmmm....homemade bread....did you say anything else? Homemade bread.....drool

6:10 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

I love the new pic!! I remember the blog entry you did with that one :)

9:31 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Grrr the Jerkasses!
We're going to getting a cell phone before our trip this summer
and I feel kinda funny buying a regular phone,lol. We just don't need those bells and whistles.

11:27 AM  
Blogger WORKINGGIRL55 said...

That'll show 'em allright!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home