Sunday, July 08, 2007

Breaking Benjamin/Three Days Grace Concert Review

I never did report on our concert experience.

The concert was at Konocti Harbor Lodge in Kelseyville, CA. In order to get tickets in the front, we were required to purchase "Sunset Barbecue" tickets. These were in addition to the concert tickets.

Before the barbecue, we grabbed wristbands so we could drink. We were required to show id. I didn't have mine with me but the guy gave me a wristband anyway. He jokingly commented that he could tell I was "just past twenty-one."

I told him that he must work for tips.

Drinks weren't provided with the barbecue, at least not the kind we were having. The barbecue was fine for something that is served buffet style. They had a salad bar and steak and salmon, my personal favorite. There was also apple and peach cobbler for dessert served with vanilla Haagen Daaz ice cream.

Our room was within walking distance of the concert and the barbecue. We didn't choose it that way. It was the only room left, probably because it was a wee bit pricey. After I read reviews online of the other rooms there, I was glad we ended up with the one we did.

I do want to add that I forgot a shirt and bra there and I have tried to contact Konocti via e-mail and heard NOTHING back.

After we ate, we ambled over to the concert. We found our seats. The young man next to us looked at us nervously. I think he feared I was a narc. Or maybe it was just the - here come the old folks to ruin the party - look.

The first band was Red. We had never heard of them. They were kind of meh.

They did have lots of fans in front of us. One guy with long red hair, eighties style, was bopping his head up and down and shaking his hand in time to the music. He was holding his hand in a fist with his index and pinkie finger in the air. What does that sign mean anyway? In his case, I think it meant he lived in his Mom's basement and smoked pot all day.

But really that sign, huh? I know if you hold your thumb out at the same time it means "I love you."

Minus thumb maybe it means "I'd like to sleep with you but I don't want to commit."

After Red finished playing, Breaking Benjamin came out. They were by far the best band of the evening.

My husband mentioned they were "tight" and that the lead singer (Benjamin) hit all his notes.

They asked the crowd to jump up and down. I looked down at my chest. Nope, no sports bra. Due to chance of injury, I declined. Okay honestly I'm not the jumping up and down type anyway. Some people can jump up and down and look fine. I'm not among them. Instead I get that ever popular frog in a blender look.

The band appeared to be having a great time. The lead guitar player seemed to have a, "Holy crap I'm getting paid to do this" look on his face. If they were jaded, they were hiding it nicely.

Ben also threw lots of guitar pics into the row in front of him. (obviously the row in front since guitar pics don't fly that far.) His adjective of choice was "fuck".

He said things like, "Hey Kelseville how the fuck are you?" and "This is great fucking weather." It was too.

When they played their last song, one of my favorites, I jokingly told my husband "about fucking time."

Half of the fun of the show was people watching. There were some beautiful teen girls that I'm sure had no idea of how lovely they were. They were probably too busy worrying that the miniscule zits they might have had were the size of dinner plates.

There was a guy about ten years older than us one row in front. He had no butt so his pants hung straight down. My husband caught him playing air guitar. Snicker.

Back to my right was a young guy who danced the whole concert, going around in circles and pumping his arm. I caught sight of the reason for his merriment at one point. He had a small pipe with him.

My favorite character was the lady two rows up. She decided instead of standing in her chair, she would stand on the back of two chairs and DANCE. Only she was drunk. Her husband kept catching her before she fell and he was telling her to get down. I'd have paid to see her fall, snarky I know.

After Breaking Benjamin was done, out came Three Days Grace. It was obvious that the lead singer had indulged in some pharmaceutical therapy before he hit the stage. He seemed a bit off.

They weren't too bad. He did an Alice in Chains song, stating that he had grown up listening to them. I remember my husband listening to Alice in Chains around 2004-2005 when we were in our MID-TWENTIES! Hee hee. He did a good job on the Alice in Chains song, better than he did on most of his own songs.

I will say that I liked the song Pain better live. On the radio it sounds, pardon the expression, pussified.

The darker it got, the more people started dancing. They were either drunker than when they started or just loosening up.

We had a really good time. There was a four hour after party where the band members might or might not have shown up.

But we were old and tired so we went back to our room and went to bed. It was a good time.

The next band I want to see is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But I'll wait until they come this way. And at least they are old like us.

20 Comments:

Blogger Undomestic said...

If the newspaper reviews sounded like yours, I might actually read them. Very fun!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Oh god, you are young...

9:18 PM  
Blogger badgerdaddy said...

I saw the Chili Peppers in 1992, I think it was - Blood Sugar Sex Magik tour. They were good, but didn't live up to the reputation. Rollins Band supported them, and they were incredible - blew the Chilis off the stage. Those were the days, back before the Chilis became hippies...

5:14 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Undomestic - Thank you. If the newspaper reviews sounded like mine, they might get sued.

Paula - 38 is middle-aged, no?

Badgerdaddy - Now if I go see them, I'll keep in mind they may not live up to the hype.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Ty said...

Sounds like we have the same taste in music.

I haven't been to a concert in years. I think the last one was the Lynrd Skynrd Reunion Tour, I was like 9 months pregnant at the time.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that RHCP puts on a good show.

7:40 AM  
Blogger poody said...

LOL I think the index and pinkie fiongers held up with a fist is for Hook'em Horns! At least that is what it means around here! I feel your pain with the concert goers. I am a middle aged woman who loves music and go to a LOT of live performances! I live in the live music capital of the world or so they tell me! I am just impressed you had seats! I hate general admission. I am tired and need to sit down! I just stopped by to say I am gonna need a picture of your toes crossed! I saw the RHCP in the 90's. They rock! 38 is not middleaged honey! It is YOUNG!!!!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

lol I like the old guys too;)
I love to see the Chili Peppers...
I am laughing my butt off,thinking about what that sign means for that guy,living in his mothers basement,smoking pot.
bwaahaahaahaa!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I love the chili peppers.

11:32 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

sign me up for the Chili Peppers..I love them!!!
Glad you can go out ...lord knows you deserved it...

12:02 PM  
Blogger Chris H said...

Sounds like you had more fun people watching than listening to the bands! What fun!!! I would love to see a frog in a blender... the mind boggles!!! ha aha ha

1:06 PM  
Blogger L said...

I would love to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2:50 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

I am Too Old, Period, to go to any big concerts anymore. Although we did go to Depeche Mode this past winter (small venue) and it was wonderful.
I loved your descriptions of the attendees! I can just see the guys next to you giving you the Oh SHit! look.
I think the thumb and little finger are hang loose in Hawaiian, but I can't remember. Also Hook 'em horns, but probably not alot of Texans at that concert?! No. The Hook 'em Horns are index and pinky. Well this has me curious so I'm googling it!

5:32 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Hey - that pinky and index finger is the Sign of Satan!
Dubbya caused a stir in Europe by flashing it!
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/january2005/210105devilhand.htm
Bwaa Ha Ha!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

SOunds like quite a time. I like all your descriptions of the crazies that came out to see the show.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Ty - Did the baby kick in time to the bass?

Liz - They came this way last year and I didn't go. I'm still kicking myself.

Poody - I hate general admission. I have to have a spot to sit too.

Ms. L - He looked like a winner, I tell ya.

Myutopia - As many years as they have been around, you know they're good.

Mary - You sound like you need a break too. How's your finger? :)

Chris H. - I am a people watcher extraordinairre. The thing is when I make fun of them, usually in my mind, I know there have been times in my life when I have looked at least that silly myself.

Lori - You posted that pic on your blog right, the sock one?

Mscellania - Not surprising, Bush is Satan.

GM - The freaks were out.

7:07 AM  
Blogger L said...

Yes I did I will email it to you right now. ;)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Old? Da Chili Peppers old?
Heyyyy?
I resemble that remark!!!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

I remember when red hot chili peppers found an interesting use for their socks ;)

10:36 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i would give my left arm to see the Chilis. they are the sexiest band on the planet, bar none. i get hot just watching their concert clips.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home