Friday, November 23, 2007

The Trash Picker

My grandfather was a man who hoarded things. Many times he would scold others for throwing "perfectly good things" into the trash. When he passed away, his bedroom was filled with miscellaneous treasures including tons of empty Pringles cans.

My daughter, Azure, has inherited his trash picking tendencies. She finds things on the ground and brings them to me. "Look Mom, somebody dropped the ribbon off their helium balloon! Look at this pretty pencil without an eraser! Wow a bookmark, can you believe somebody dropped this?"

I am inevitably repulsed by the various germ-covered things she presents me with. One time when she was visiting her friend Michael, they went through the next-door neighbors' trash. The neighbors had moved and left some "perfectly good things" sitting in the trash.

Among the things they found were a tricycle with one wheel and a broken kid's toy drum set. Michael's mother said they had a great time riding the tricycle down her driveway. She presented the drum to me where it sat in my garage until I could sneak it in the trash.

And boy do I have to sneak stuff into the trash. When I clean her room, I have to banish her from the premises. "But Mom, that's my favorite rock. I found it when I was walking from school!"

Two weeks ago her sister threw a dead rose in the trash. She pulled it out and put it in a vase in her room.

It dawned on me recently that she will never change. We were driving. It was nighttime and off in the distance were some lights. She asked, "What's that it's beautiful?"

That beautiful sight in the distance; it was the county dump!

18 Comments:

Blogger Chris H said...

One of my daughter was the same when little... I would find all sorts of stuff in her wardrobe, but her favourite was stones and rocks and bits of paper! Takes all sorts mate!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Well then my daughter has a bright future as a sanitation engineer!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Joke said...

This reminds me of a line from Better Off Dead:

"Lookit that. Someone's thrown out a perfectly good white boy."

-J.

1:57 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

I live with the adult version.
We keep buying bigger houses.
I would suggest that she decide on a career that allows her easy access to her heart's delight AND the income with which to provide storage.
My spouse goes through his company's metal recycling as well as their junque pile. And he's not the only one!
And YUP he's an engineer.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Oh, I remember being told, don't touch that, it's trash! I am a packrat that has lived in a two room third floor walk up for over six years...I have gotten to the point where weeding is therapeutic. But I still remember giving away my teddy bear b/c I thought I was suppposed to get rid of things and I still sort of miss it today. (I was 9.) (It played "Teddy Bear's Picnic" if you wound it up.)

A good sense of humor: important here.

Hey, I hear sanitation engineers make good money!!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Or she could run her own thrift shop! They have a very elegant dump in Nantucket (my brother's MIL calls it the Madaket Mall) - everything is folded, crisp and new.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Joke - that is one of my favorite movie lines, ever.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

I guess not always new. Although I guess some rich couple bought a new kitchen set, didn't like it, then brought it to the dump? It was snatched up immediately.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Joke - If I were giving awards for funniest comment this month, you would win.

Mscellania - That's too funny. If it came with a bigger house, it might be liveable.

SL - Everytime I throw something out, I need it a month later.

Bearette - I wish some rich couple would dump a car in my front yard.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

A former co=worker of mine actually makes art from found objects like bottle caps etc. Is she artistic?

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm so sorry she inherited those genes. On the other hand, maybe someday she will find something like a lost Da Vinci.

Love,

Mom

8:12 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

oooh God she sounds like CiarĂ¡n,who's grandfather is also a trash picker!
Jig also likes to collect bolts,screws and nails that she finds along the road.
I freely admit to being a major rock hound though,so perhaps I'm not faultless in this..
Look at it this way,it's recycling. She's just doing her duty to Earth!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Bookworm - good point, I think there is a market for that.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Invisible Momma said...

I can just see her sitting on the porch of her trailer someday, gazing out at her field of treasures...some old tires....a broken down car... Ah. Living the life. Ha ha ha!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bookworm - She is very artistic.

Anonymom - She's more likely to find a lost paint by number.

Ms. L - That's a nice way to look at it.

Bearette - Maybe she'll be little miss trash to treasure some day.

IM - If she wants to see all that stuff, she can go in our back yard. LOL

6:11 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

my daughter is the same way, I have to wait till she's not around because I can't throw anything out....even the doll missing both her eyes...

8:15 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mary, that dog sounds scary. LOL

2:21 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Ask her to make you a collage with all her cool stuff. I pick crap up all the time and use it in my art.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home