Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

Good morning. It's another new year, bright with the promise of sticking to those resolutions this time. I could list them all but then I'd have to eat my words at a later date.

One resolution I will share is that I have vowed to go gluten-free again. It lowered my cholesterol for some reason, which means that the last four months of unabashed gluten gluttony cannot become a way of life again. Does anyone want to share their resolutions and their perceived likelihood of sticking to them? Come on now. Don't be shy.

**************************

My kids said some very funny things in the last year. Azure told me that she knew why you had to have a mom and a dad to have a baby. With a sinking heart, I asked her why. She said because the dad has to drive the mom to the hospital while she's in labor.

Sammy has come up with a few funnies. He said he wanted to turn the sky off and on. I told him that was God's job. He then asked if he could just flip the switch that turns the sky on and off. Now I can picture God up there with a giant switch.

He told me that eating bup (breastfeeding) makes you feel all better. (Yes, he's weaned. I decided to do it before he started inviting his friends over for milk and cookies.) I never knew breastfeeding made you feel all better. If I still had milk, I could market it as an anti-depressant. Maybe I'd make enough money to pay for my badly needed boob job due to breastfeeding.

**************************

My husband purchased a new car for me the day after Christmas. This is huge. My first car was used. I bought it because it was what I could afford. My second car was used. I didn't even get to pick it out. My parents negotiated a deal with a friend who owned a car lot. They picked it out. I made the payments. It was yewgly. My third car was what I could afford. Seeing a pattern yet? LOL

On the 26th, hubster and I went down to the Saturn dealership. All the 2007 Saturns were going for zero percent financing. There was one 2007 Aura left. It's black. Usually I don't like black but it's pretty. It has onstar for a year and best of all, seat warmers. I looooove them.

We have to get SJ a smaller car seat so all three kids can fit in the back. We'll probably get him a travel harness. Anyway, he was riding in the front (airbag off) and he said, "My weenies warm."

We thought it would make a nice Irish prayer. You know, along the lines of may the wind be always at your back, may the road rise to meet you and may your weenie always be warm.

**************************

And now more weenie talk.

I joined an online mothers group of mothers who didn't circumcise.

I did this because we did not circumcise and I sometimes have questions and nobody to answer them. On my side of the family, everyone has been circe'd for the last two or three generations.

Before I go any further, I want to say I am not anti-circumcision. I think both sides have compelling arguments, really six of one a half dozen of the other. Most people must feel the same way since the split on who does and who doesn't is about fifty-fifty.

But this group I joined, I can tell they are very strongly against it. Were I to support the cause as fervently as they, I would need a special super-hero outfit, a cool moniker and a motto. I could wear a shirt with the word "circumcision" on the front but with a red circle around it and a slash through it. I can see it now. "Foreskin girl, saving the world one penis at a time!"

One woman had a video in her signature of an actual circumcision. The medical profession informs us that infants do not have a mature central nervous system yet so they do not feel much during this quick mostly painless procedure. I'm here to say "bull$#@*!"

Have you ever had the doctor tell you something will be mildly uncomfortable? You know this is doctor speak for "The insurance company is too cheap to spring for morphine. Suck it up."

Well I'm hoping this was an old video. Somebody in the know who has recently had a boy or knows someone who has, tell me they numb those babies now. Immature central nervous system my ass.

I am less trusting of those who "know" what's best for me and my kids than I have ever been.

**************************

So is anybody nursing a hangover today? Did anybody wear a lampshade last night?

I don't have a hangover but I went to bed at nine, oh and I didn't drink.

We are such an exciting bunch. I think maybe once in my whole life I've stayed up until midnight on New Years. So share your fun party stories and let me live vicariously through you.

Have a great New Year!

23 Comments:

Blogger BabelBabe said...

I am resolving to survive the new year without killing anyone or myself. We'll see how that goes.

My three boys are all intact, too, Caro. I just saw no point in cricumcising, as it was not a religious issue at all.

Happy New Year!

8:30 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i also saw no point in spelling the procedure correctly either.... : )

8:30 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Hee, I like your resolution.

I totally missed your mispelled word. Had to go back and look.

And I might have spelled "mispelled" wrong. Oh well.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

We didn't circumcise Cass. We were all set to (B is, and my family does, and I had no huge qualms either way) and it was all matter of fact until it actually came down to it and my big strong husband clutched my baby and said 'But he's so little! We can't hurt him.' and that was that.

Clearly hard scientific research went into that decision.

That said, I was never able to find an on-line group to talk about circumcision about that wasn't rabid about it. Even the language offended me - the opposite of natural would be something cold and unfeeling, right? I guess I was just enough on the fence to not want to align with either side.

I told my doctor he had to take me through 'penis school' because I'd never seen an uncircumcised one before.

Oh, and great car! Congratulations!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Daysgoby - Penis school, I like that. I like your scientific research. It was pretty much the same kind we did.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Ooh, new cars are fun.

We had a quiet new year which is my only resolution but for the whole year. Shh. We're being quiet. Hopefully it will last.

Happy New Year!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Paula - I'm glad you're getting your wish. Yes, the car is so fun. I could have gone on and on about it but then everybody's eyes would have glazed over.

I never spend that kind of money on myself. I felt guilty for about two days but then it blew over.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Hey Lovie!
I'm sorry to disapoint you but I had one drink last night then struggled to stay up til 12,lol.
No living vicariously through me;p

That group sounds intersting. My guy isn't cut either. I made the decision at the last minite in the hospital after seeing the mum across from me on the ward in great emotional pain,watching her newborn in great physical pain after he was circumsised. Her husband insisted. I totally agree, what the docs say is all BS. That baby was hurting.

I'm laughing in amazement at Sammy,what a funny smart little guy. I imagine breast feeding would make everything all better:)
and of course who can resist a kid who delights in a warm weenie,lol

Haaa Azure,she's starting to learn all the womanly secrets now,isn't she??hee hee

So I wonder if resolutions have a corrosponding points number??? You know,for when we eat them??
Mine are the same as usual PLUS I vow to listen better to my kids and not be so reactive. Caaaaalmmm down is my goal;)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Chris H said...

Sorry, we were boring old farts and went to bed at 12.03 am after watching tv and blogging!!! As for the circumcision... we did not do this to our boys... cos my attitude is "if you are born with it you must be meant to have it eh" .... works for me. And I could not go and hurt my baby just for cosmetic reasons!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Ms. L - Yes, Azure knows all the womanly secrets now. LOL And Sammy loves anything to do with his weenie. Typical male.

Chris H - At least you made it till midnight. Hooray! I did have a friend tell me that I should get my son circ'd because she didn't like the way an uncirc'd penis looked. I figured that was okay since he's not likely to date her. Hee hee.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Unfortunately we are having to think about this...D wants to get it done, is circ'd himself (as well as every other guy I've, um, seen). So I thought it was standard...but it does seem brutal. I'm not looking forward to it.

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While we were in Georgia, my five-year old nephew turned to me and said longingly, "I wish I could jump through the moon. I bet it would be beautiful."

7:39 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - I googled and they do numb now so the pain is reduced. Phew. We had planned on doing it also because my dh is circ'd. Then I agonized for almost a year when we decided not to whether or not I had made the right decision. I'm not against it. I'm against doctors not numbing it but it seems they have actually seen the light on the pain issue.

Liz - Ah, that's cute. I love the way little kids see the world.

8:23 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

You got a new car!! Yeah!!! That's a good new start!!!

As for 2008 resolutions: Start Going Green!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mary - I need to do that one too. But the thought of giving up paper towels terrifies me.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Phew! And we're getting it done the "Jewish way," since D is Jewish, and apparently they don't use clamps, it's quicker, and they use a numbing anesthetic cream. Still...I think I'm going to have to be in the other room when it happens.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Yep, it it's a weenie thing, I'm with you. Let the menfolk handle it. LOL

2:41 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

My resolution is to be more positive. It's going to be a challenge for me. New Years Eve I stayed home, got on the computer and folded laundry. I am SUCH a partier :-)

8:26 PM  
Blogger Real Live Lesbian said...

Now I wanna switch off the day, too! Great imagination he has!

Congrats on the new car!

8:54 AM  
Blogger livesbythewoods said...

Penis School sounds like a very dodgy dvd you wouldn't want your mother to find in your collection.

New car, new year, fantastic.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

I think you should be allowed to gush all you want about your new car. Warm weenies....the fun just never ends at your house, does it?

9:36 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bookworm - You sound like great company to me.

Reallive - Have I mentioned how much your name makes me laugh? It seems like you should have an announcer on a stage, "And now introducing Real Live Lesbian!"

Livesby - LOL. It does, doesn't it!

Roxanne - Maybe I could start knitting weenie warmers, what a trendy gift idea. LOL

12:12 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Hell, I would share milk and cookies with anyone who showed up at my door if I was promised a boob job for these deflated fun bags.

Happy New Year!!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home