Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sweating to the Oldies

It seems I mentioned in an earlier post that my class reunion was coming up. I can't remember. It was my, gasp, 20th.

The people that were planning it sent out very last minute invitations, like a month before the event. Or maybe only the people like me received last minute invitations. (Her, I don't remember her. Oh yeah, it was the freaky goth tall chick.)

The reunion was held on the 28th of December. I chewed on going but that was only to see my friend Diane, who sounded positive she was going. Only it was one-hundred twenty dollars, three days after Christmas, a four hour drive away, and we didn't have a car at the time that fit the whole family.

I told her via e-mail that I wasn't able to go. She hadn't signed up either. I would have killed her if I'd signed for it and she wasn't going.

The people hosting the reunion set up a myspace site. I went online this weekend to see if I recognized any of the people who had gone to the reunion. Nope, I didn't. Not only that, but they all looked really old and fat. How did that happen to them when I still look the same?

One thing I had wondered about was, if I had gone to the reunion would it propel me mentally back to high school? That question was answered when I was looking at the pictures. The lady (I use that term loosely) who was voted most eligible bachelorette was one of the people who had been a snotty mean girl in high school. I found myself asking my husband, "Do you think she still screws for coke?" Twenty years later and some things never change.

14 Comments:

Blogger Chris H said...

Ha ha ha! You are right, some things never do change. Breakfast cereal + milk = 5 points.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Chris - I hope it's very filling cereal. LOL

8:55 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

We've never been to any of ours.

We didn't keep up with any of the people we went to high school with so whats the point.

Although, we did buy the little yearbook thing-y and Dale was thrilled to see all his BALD classmates, especially since he has all his hair.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Paula - Good for Dale. I'd be thrilled too. Neener neener neener, I look better than you guys. LOL

7:16 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Haaahaaa,but,but but that's a good question to ask!!;)

Mine has come and gone and there was no way in hell I'd go. I just didn't like anyone I went to school with. Now that I'm an adult
I get to choose to avoid them.It's awesome.

4:13 PM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

i went to mine - without alcohol, no less, as i attended a fundamentalist Baptist high school. I would sooner give birth without an epidural, or have needles poked in my eyes, or spend an entire day alone with my children (oh, wait, i do THAT all the time) than go through that again. You did not miss a THING.

5:04 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

During High School:
Didn't join any clubs
Didn't go to HomeComing
Didn't go to Prom
Didn't go to games
Didn't go to any dances
Didn't buy any yearbooks
Didn't go to graduation.

So, no; didn't go to reunion.
I'm sure you didn't miss a thing. I could not imagine a more boring event; drunks trying to impress people they had been unable to impress in the past. Big Woop.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Ms. L - I like your way of thinking.

Babelbabe - It's good to know I saved my money then.

Mscellania - Your big woop made me laugh.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had some good friends in high school, went to all the dances and games, but I usually dated older guys so no I don't bother with reunions, I have lived in the same area since I left high school and rarely run into anyone I knew. Don't care enough to pay money to watch the cheerleaders clump together,,,,,nope didn't care then couldn't care less now.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't gone to any of my reunions so far. And honestly, I don't think I ever will.

I've only remained friends with one person from high school, and she's the only one I care about seeing.

5:26 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Gee, with comments like that I think the reunion could have used you very nicely.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Iamthebookworm said...

I went to my tenth and it was h*ll! People never change.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I plan on going to the reunions just to see where everyone has gone and then laugh to myself as they all realize that even though back then I was the quiet, unpopular one who wasn't going anywhere... I've done a 180... as have most of them.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Joke said...

Ha! I had my 25th.

I'm decrepit.

-J.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home