Saturday, May 31, 2008

New Beginnings

There have been two graduates in my family in the last two weeks. One is my oldest daughter. She graduated from high school. The other is my son who graduated from preschool.

While I attended both graduations, I didn't actually see either one of them get their diplomas.

My daughter's graduation was scheduled for seven-thirty on a Friday night. She had to be at school by five-thirty. She called me on the phone to tell me she had to park very far away as the road was already filled with cars. Since we weren't dressed and our sitter wasn't showing up until six-thirty, there wasn't much we could do.

We were at the gates by six-fifty, tickets in hand. Each graduate had been given five tickets. The people with tickets were to be let in before seven. The people without were to be let in after seven.

The minute we got to the gate everybody was let in early. Imagine if gas were on sale for a dollar twenty-five a gallon and the first person to win the foot race got to fill their tank for a year at that price. That's how fast everybody STAMPEDED into the bleachers, leaving a spot in the nosebleed section.

How far away were we?



My daughter is down there. She's the one in the green robe. This picture was taken with my lens zoomed in as far as it could go.

This is a picture without the camera zoomed in.



I eventually stood up near the fence to watch but I still couldn't see her. When I heard her name, I screamed so loud that the boys in front of me turned around and said, "Wow that's some enthusiasm."

Too bad she didn't hear me. Next time I'm taking an air horn.

The school choir, in which she is a member, sang two songs. I told her that she hadn't mentioned to me she'd be singing at graduation. She told me she didn't think it was that important. Sigh.

My son's graduation was on a Thursday afternoon. Usually his preschool does it outside on the grass. This year they did it inside the classroom.

While my daughter's graduating class had about four hundred and fifty students, my sons class seemed to have four hundred and fifty parents.

This was my view of my son's graduation.



Sensing a theme here?

Since my daughter had graduated in a robe, my son was more than willing to put his on. Normally there would have been no way he would have donned it.

In the case of both my son and daughter, pictures were taken by their respective schools of them receiving their diploma. So even though I couldn't see, I still have two visual mementos.

I also took a picture of my daughter after her ceremony.



She is off to a two year college in the fall. After she's collected all the cheap credits she can, we'll send her to a four year college.

She is interested in choir and photography. She received a very nice camera for graduation with a telephoto lens and all the bells and whistles. She's very good at taking pictures and especially skilled at cleaning them up with photoshop. Maybe I'll have her take some pics of me and then blur out a chin or three.

I have a picture of my son before his ceremony.



My son is headed off to mainstream kindergarten, MAINSTREAM kindergarten, something I never dreamed of two short years ago. He will probably need an aide which the school district won't want to supply. I can even understand that from their point of view, as aides cost money.

It's a good think I'm fingerprinted with the district since I'll probably be working as an unpaid aide in the fall, huh?

School is still not out for my son and youngest daughter. June 10Th is their last day.

We can hardly wait.

19 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Congratulations on both counts!

I'm glad to see you're back.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Paula - Thank you. Yes, the last few weeks have been crazy.

7:32 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

CONGRATULATIONS to both your children.
I'm glad she's going to college. It's huge.
Mainstream will be great for your little one. It has been for mine. And he has the report card peppered with 4's (excellent - highest mark) to prove it. He's tries much harder with typically developing peers.
We're out for summer and it's devine.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

June 10th, such a loaded date :)

Great pic of your daughter (and son too).

That might be a good career for her...it seems like there's a lot of opportunities for photographers and graphic designers...maybe she could even do weddings!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

I meant after college...not trying to shove her into the workforce :) I guess I've had such boring jobs that I latch onto fun ideas for others.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Bearette said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mscellania - Thank you. I can't wait to see how he does.

Bearette - June 10th. Is there significance to that date? LOL
(I'll be surprised if you go that long.) BTW my bet is for the 7th. Seven is a lucky number. Your jobs have been pretty cool I thought. Yoga teaching seems like it would be wonderful.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Oh, I forgot that one! It wasn't 9 to 5 and it was kind of fun so it didn't feel like a "job."

6:28 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

7 is cool.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Chris H said...

Congrats to both graduates... here in New Zealand our kids do not 'graduate' from kindy, only from University, which is where they go after High School. Our school system is
- Kindy 3-5
- primary 5-10
-secondary 11 to 17 or 18
- University 18 to whenever they finish their degree.

Our Griffin is so lucky, he has had a Teacher Aide ever since he started school, and his problems are not even that bad! Just hyperactive and having trouble learning to read and write. I hope your wee boy gets all the help he needs.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I am so happy for you. A girl of to college and your little one in K. That is huge. You're a really great, involved mom and deserve major recognition for that. Not that us moms ever get it. I only hope my "troublesome" middle child can find as much success as little Sammy.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

Congrats to your kids and to YOU! You survived one through high school. Just a few more to go!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh I love you!
You had me laughing so hard!
WHY don't we live closer?? Whyyyy??????;(

Congratulations to your girlie
and your boy! I'm so excited for all the new things their new lives will bring them. And CONGRATULATIONS to you too,Mama.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, lots of achievements in the TMI household! I think I see your daughter in the crowd... in addition to the green robe, she's also wearing a hat, right?

;)

5:12 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Chris H - I like the way you guys do things. Our kids have too many graduations out here. I'm glad you have been fortunate getting help with Griffin.

GM - You take such good care of your little ones. I know your "troublesome" boy will do just great.

Undomestic - It's much easier to survive watching kids go through HS than to go through it yourself. Shudder. HS and I did not suit.

Lael - You would be the best workout buddy ever if we lived close. I would be kept on my toes.

Liz - Yep, that's her in the green hat. You're good.

10:41 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Couldn't you get any further back (of the backs)?

6:13 PM  
Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

My little pickle finished up preschool a couple of weeks ago, too.

I was thinking about building one of those cryonics freezers in my back yard. Ya know, stick the kids in it so they would stop growing up so fast - thaw them out when I wanted to hang out with them. My hubby thought I might get in trouble and my oldest thought he would get freezer burn... I would use the highest quality plastic wrap and double wrap, ya know. I know how to avoid freezer burn. Oh, well..

Congrats on the graduations. I don't even want to think about a high school one yet!

9:01 PM  
Blogger EdotR said...

Oh Congrats...

The Mainstream thing is nervewracking. Miss C was in what they call a "mixed" class, Mainstream kinder with Aides and Special Education in the afternoons. It went so so...but it's a mighty big accomplishment for our children!!

6:37 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

congrats!

and can i just tell you it took me several moments before figuring out you'd scribbled out the face of the other girl and she wasn't wearing some sort of weird face doily? : )

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home