Thursday, June 12, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

We have been here, there, and everywhere lately.

I'll start with Sammy. His IEP was June 3rd. It was EXCELLENT.

He will be starting mainstream kindergarten in the fall. He also was accepted into the (free) Montessori charter at his school. Happy dance, happy dance!

The school district said they will supply an aide for an hour a day and if it turns out he needs more than an hour, he will get more.

From what I've read, this is unusual for a school district to be so forthcoming with the help. More happy dance.
********************
In an attempt to save money and the environment, I made homemade laundry detergent.

It uses Fels Naptha, washing soda and borax. I also added some essential oils to it. The oil blend was called stress relief.

Although we are only on day two of summer vacay, I feel the need to go bury my head in the laundry detergent bucket and breathe.

I was eager to wash laundry this morning so I could check it out. It worked great. My clothes look clean. They smell clean. So I assume they are clean.

Now if I can only learn how to weave my own toilet paper...
********************
The summer library program starts Monday with a kick-off party. We will be attending of course.

There will be face painting. Every parent knows face painting is the one thing your child MUST HAVE. Then you wait in line for an hour because each kid asks the face painter to something with the detailing of the Sistine Chapel.

My kids are getting their faces painted by me BEFORE we leave the house. My Momma didn't raise no fool.
********************
In the last two days we have been to the library, the park and the play structure at Carl's Jr.

No matter how many places I take them they are BORED the minute we get home. It's going to be a loooooong summer.
********************
I made the perfect dairy-free ice cream from scratch on Tuesday.

It rocked.

I modestly named it Carolyn's World Famous Ice Cream.

It could happen someday

17 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Hey babe, it's famous in your world, and thats a pretty good start!

Congrats on the kindy, bit too!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

Homemade detergent...I'm impressed.

Though the homemade ice cream probably tastes better ;)

7:43 PM  
Blogger Chris H said...

that is good new about your son getting extra help at school.. our Griffin does too. Our two will be on holidays in a few weeks.. and I am not looking forward to it cos I will be recovering from surgery! boo hooo....

9:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

snorting from bearette's comment. V. impressed regarding the laundry detergent, guess I'll have to Google Fels Naptha.

Congrats on the grads!!

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caro- could you email your laundry soap recipe? Ingredient amounts and such?

And hooray for excellent IEPs! That's wonderful.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Paula - True, I like that thought.

Bearette - The detergent was super easy but you're right, the ice cream tasted MUCH better. But you know the ice cream didn't have that pine-fresh scent.

Chris H - It sounds like a good time for them to learn how to wait on you. LOL

SL - I'll send you the link. Welcome, I haven't seen you in a while.

Liz - It's on its way. Yes, I am so excited about him starting "big kid" school.

10:38 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Did you grate the fels naptha? I use it on stains, rubbing the bar directly on them. Where'd you find the soap directions? Also, you can use white vinegar in the rinse v. fabric softener and it will cut any traces of soap. And the smell dries out.
You da bomb for making a GOOD ice cream!
And the best news in your post? SJ is going to get great services! Visit often, ask questions, bring food as thank-yous.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mscellania - I love your good ideas. I am fingerprinted now so I will be helping out in his classroom too.

Here is the link to the laundry making directions.

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL,we have a Stampede most people have never heard of with World Famous in the name so you KEEP your cool ice cream name!

I'm so happy to hear all the good news for your boysy. That's AWESOME,you must be relieved and excited and thinking about September all the time now. It's gonna be sooo good:)

I'm making your laundry soap too. See what you started???

7:56 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I'm dreadig summer. Thank God for year round school. Red only gets 6 weeks. Good news about little S. So ofthen the district is happier just to stick it to ya, right? How do you make homemade detergent??

9:12 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

I am going to try this Laundry-Soap making! Today I'll get some orange essential oil. Next batch I might try rosemary or lavender.
Ryan got HUGE HUGE hives from trying an HE detergent. The stuff I'm currently using is horribly expensive, but at least it's biodegradable. I do so much laundry, I'd sure like to cut the cost and get something natural going.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Now here is a question, if you have to buy all those ingredients does it really save money? What kind of soap did you use for it? And where did you get the oils from? I'm grilling you....

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. my husband is a school social worker in special ed and (without knowing sammy or your school system, obviously) thought the IEP sounded good.

5:19 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

ice cream recipe pleeeeze!!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Joke said...

Post the recipe, you wench.

-J.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you shouldn't bother learning to weave your own toilet paper.

knitting it is much, much faster. Plus, no loom to get in the way of the tv while you do it.

I speak from bitter experience.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Lael - I haven't heard about the stampede but I read something about feet washing up. :-)

GM - I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to chase down the school district with a chair and beat them over the head. Regarding the detergent, the lady breaks down the costs on her web page.

MP - I pm'd ya!

Joke - For the non-dairy one, it's at www.gfcfdiet.blogspot.com. I will also post the regular one here.

Bec - I could knit the colors to match my bathroom. So chic.



Liz - Tell him thank you. I'm glad to get the input. :-)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home