Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My Inner Smart Ass

Somebody posted this article on cafemom.

(CBS) An eight-year-old Indiana girl swallowed 30 magnets and steel balls from a toy last month and, her father says, needed emergency surgery to save her from what doctors told him were eight gunshot or stab-like holes in her intestines.

Haley Lents told Early Show co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez Monday she ingested the ten magnets and 20 steel balls because they "looked like candy."

Haley's father, Jason Lents, told CBS News he "really" doesn't understand how Haley could have consumed the parts, because she "gets A's and B's, and we taught her not to do stuff like this."

Jason says doctors told him Haley is lucky to be alive. She spent two weeks in the hospital.

He says he and his wife were in the same room as Haley in their Huntingburg home when she consumed the items, and they didn't even realize it. He says they rushed Haley to the hospital two days later when she began experiencing pain so severe she could barely stand up.

The parts came from a toy called Magnetix, made by Mega Brands, which issued a statement about the incident: ""Mega Brands was saddened to learn that a child sustained injury from ingesting a large number of toy parts, some of which apparently contained magnets. While we have not been able to confirm whether the toy involved was a MEGA Brands product, it is clear this was a highly unusual and isolated situation and is not indicative of any problem with Mega Brands' magnetic construction toys currently on the market. In general, if a child swallows 30 pieces of any toy, it is likely that it will result in harm regardless of the toy in question."

Haley told Rodriguez she wants other kids to know they shouldn't eat toy parts.

Jason also wants to get the word out. He pointed out to Rodriguez that, "These are high intensity magnets. There are so many parents out there that have no idea that these toys -- it just takes two magnets to kill someone. ... And because they are so easy to swallow ... (Mega Brands hasn't) done enough. Now, Mega ... has said that, coming out in July of '08, next month, that they have a completely redesigned magnetic set that contains no magnetic parts that can be swallowed. ... They obviously feel that there's an issue."


I couldn't help but leave a comment. My comment?

How is it that they took two days to realize this? Didn't they notice she was sticking to the fridge?

I'm glad the other mom had a sense of humor.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Lael said...

LMAO!
You;d think,huh?;p
Hee hee
I like your smart ass side!
You'd fit in so well here.

I'd say something else about this kid BUT Jig once swallowed a penny because she was licking syrup off it..ewww and split open her chin running into our big front window so I'll be shutting up now!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hee hee :D

I guess there's no need to put your kid's drawings on the fridge when you can just stick the whole kid up there.

4:47 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

Caro, yet again I wish you lived near me. If I hung out with you and had coffee, I'd be covered in coffee stains from all my spit takes.

I threw our magnetix out - because of danger? No, don't be silly. Because I was TIRED OF STEPPING ON THE DAMN THINGS.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

Oh my...I'm still cracking up as I write this!

Maybe they had a stainless steel fridge...magnets don't work on them. ;)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Lael - The only thing is I can never think of a comeback IRL. Grrrr.

Liz - That's right. But it's hard to sneak out a bowl of ice cream when you don't want them to see.

Babelbabe - You could just buy brown clothing.

Cari - Maybe that was it!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Mary Poppins said...

That was good....your comment that is.

6:57 AM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

HA HA HA!

R swallowed one when he was way over 4. As we was STILL in diapers, we found it - the mysterious thing in his poop. Luckily, dh was changing that diaper. He bellowed "OH GOD WHAT IS THIS?" I casually walked over and said "OH! There's that missing Magnetix Ball!"

When R was quizzed about how it got there, obviously having made the trip down the gastro track (It turned dark gold), he said "Axdent" I told him no more Magnetix. And that was the end of that.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

You are a smart ass. And I so look up to you for it. LOL!

12:01 PM  
Blogger paula said...

Heh-heh-heh.

I love you and you smart-ass-y-ness...

12:32 PM  
Blogger Bearette24 said...

30 magnets?!? God.

3:13 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

"...sticking to the fridge." Ho ho har de har har. Good one, kid.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Leesa Marae said...

Your still here!!!

This Lisa from Lisa's Crazy World. I had to leave because I was being tortured by ignornat family members. I am now going by Leesa ( it was how I spelled my name for years )and I am hoping to jump back in. Do you remember me??? 5 kids, kinda wacky ???? It is good to see you on here still.

2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home