Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Happy Birthday to an 18-Year Old



Today my oldest child is eighteen - EIGHTEEN. I'm not sure how it happened. Watching your kids grow is like holding a fistful of water. No matter how tightly you try to hold it, it slips through your fingers.

I remember when she was born. I was going to be the perfect parent. I would always understand and never yell. I would definitely never say, "Because I SAID SO."

Mwahahahahahahaha.

We have gone through all the firsts with her, first lost tooth, first training bra, first boyfriend, first boyfriend that made her cry, first driver's license...Yikes!

Somehow despite numerous parenting blunders, she has turned out great. Her first year of college starts in August. My wallet is thankful that it is a community college.

She will be majoring in drama, something she has been majoring in around the house for the last eighteen years.

It's fun to see what kind of person she is becoming. I hope her future is as grand as I imagine it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

happy birthday! i hope she has a great time in college.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

EIGHTEEN!?!?! Day-uhhmmm, you must be real ol----olwfully proud...

YAY for theatre majors!

Send her my best!

8:51 PM  
Blogger badgerdaddy said...

Heck of a landmark for you. I've just seen my 12-y-o stepdaughter and her friend both squeeze into a single t-shirt... As I typed this, they both squeezed into one pair of trousers too, and are trying to walk downstairs like that...

And I was just thinking to myself, is it going to be better or worse when she grows up?

Who knows. Like you say though, the fun's in finding out.

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She will be majoring in drama, something she has been majoring in around the house for the last eighteen years."

Hee. :)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

LOL @ the bit about her majoring in drama about the house!
Girls,girls girls!

Happy,Happy Birthday!!
This is just the begining
of a wonderful adventure!

11:00 AM  
Blogger BabelBabe said...

she's BEAUTIFUL.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - I hope she hurries up and enrolls! Else she will be in big trouble.

Smart Ash - I only hope it is a money making major.

Badgerdaddy - I hope you took some pictures. Did the t-shirt recover?

Liz - She is at least partially responsible for some of these gray hairs.

Ms. L - Adventure for her - roller coaster ride for me.

Babelbabe - Of course. She takes after her mother. Hee.

1:24 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I read about 90 b**gs, and about 1/4th of them have got a drama-mama. It must be a good thing to have.

3:42 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

YIPES!
You are way too young to have an 18 year old.
Congrats on getting her to 18. I hope she registers to vote.
Having one go off to college would give me major hives.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home