Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Vacation

I'd like to post a really exciting vacation story. But I don't have one. Sorry.

Our vacation started like every other vacation with me frantically washing clothes, checking packing lists and trying not to forget anything vital.

I noticed our neighbor across the street hadn't opened his garage door yet and it was already seven in the morning. This doesn't sound ominous but I swear this man leaves his house every day at six sharp and starts walking up and down the street staring at people. We were in the midst of a heat wave and visions of his overheated carcass moldering in his house were flashing in my head. Just as I was getting ready to peek in his windows and/or call the police to check on him, he came out of his house. Phew.

I don't know about the rest of you but starting out a vacation with a dead neighbor just seems like a bad omen to me.

The second part of our vacation, packing and driving four hours being the first, was leaving the kids with the in-laws. Mwahahahahaha!

The third part of our vacation was the fun part, just me and hubby in a motel room. Nobody was whining at us that they were bored. We had a TV watching, beer-drinking fest. Hey, it may be pitiful to the rest of you but it was just what we needed.

We took a walk down near the assorted piers the first night and a walk on the beach the second day. But honestly, the majority of our vacation was spent sitting on our butts.

The most active day we had was in Solvang, CA. It's a Danish style town about an hour and a half from Morro Bay. The big draw for my husband was Danish sausage and ebelskivers, both of which I find gross. Ebelskivers are ball-shaped, pancake like dough balls that are served with (gag) raspberry jelly. When you try to chew them, they stick to the roof of your mouth like glue.

Out of sheer desperation, I asked the waitress if they had any gluten-free breads. She thought I was asking for glue and told me they had tape if I wanted some. Hey, if I'd wanted glue, I'd have ordered ebelskivers. Sadly, this is more the way things go when trying to dine out gluten-free rather then the exception to the rule.

So that's the recap of our wild vacation. I hope everyone hung onto their seats while reading this.

The bright side of it all is nobody will ever see me in an "Old Hags Gone Wild" video.

9 Comments:

Blogger Undomestic said...

Replace the beer with the wine, and I think your vacation sounds PERFECT!!!!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

HOORAY! A fellow fuddy duddy. I do wish I had taken time to jog on the beach but somebody might have tried to push me back in.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

LOL,I hate raspberry jam too!

I don't know..I think your vaycay sounds pretty damn awesome.
Especially the no kids part!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Lael - You would think the no kids part would have meant I wouldn't be exhausted afterward. Not so. I guess I'm not much of a drinker.

3:22 PM  
Blogger badgerdaddy said...

I can dig that... I just had six days away, most of which was working - but I took a load of books with me and spent the evenings nowhere near a TV, with just books, German beer and good company. It was pretty damn fine.

Respect to your 'vacation'. Sorry, we say holiday...

Which reminds me, was the movie 'The Holiday' called 'The Vacation' in the US?

3:08 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Badgerdaddy! Glad to see you. :-)

German beer is some good beer. I'm not sure I could drink it and read though.

Strangely enough, I just saw the movie this weekend and it was called The Holiday.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kind of vacation. Unfortunately, your Dad calls it wasting time and has to be doing something every minute. Just being where it is cool, laying around and reading is the perfect vacation for me.

Nin

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having an idiot day, I guess. Nin is my new word for Mom?

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home