Monday, August 18, 2008

And They're Off!





Sammy woke up quite late this morning but his ABA wasn't until after school so it was okay by me. Kid up late equals more time to enjoy solitary coffee.

He got up, ate breakfast and watched some PBS before it was time for school. I tried sneaking vitamins in his juice but I snuck in too many and he tasted them. I added Super Nu-Thera, the vitamin du jour of autism, some strawberry fish oil and some astragalus. Tomorrow morning I'll try sneaking in the astragalus by itself and deal with the others later.

His lunch wasn't much different than Azure's. I packed him an individual chocolate soy milk. (Thank you Costco.) I also packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips with homemade guacamole and blueberries. Guacamole doesn't sound like a health food but he is quite thin and I try to plump him up. Avocado is some good stuff.

The teacher had sent a name tag to pin to his shirt for the first day. I pinned it on and we went in the bathroom to brush his teeth. He saw the reflection of his name in the mirror and told me I put it on "upside down."

I had to explain to him that it just looked that way in the mirror.

Then he brushed and managed to get toothpaste on his clean shirt. I wiped it off. He noticed that he couldn't undo the snap on his new shorts. We tried a few times and he still couldn't. Fortunately the shorts were adjustable so I made them just big enough that he could slip them up and down to go potty.

I STILL remember in first grade wearing some corduroy pants I couldn't unsnap and ending up peeing myself. Seriously it scarred me for life!

I got him off to school. He didn't want to stay until a little girl showed up that he knew. It was surprising to me exactly how maudlin I felt upon leaving the last baby at "big kid school."

I went home and did some dishes, cleaned the bathroom, mopped the floors and ran to the grocery store.

When I picked him up, he told me he wasn't coming home with me. I said, "So do you want to go again tomorrow?"

He said, "That's okay, I don't want to."

There was a pretty major meltdown after school and during ABA. I have the claw marks on my arm to show it. There have been too many changes of routine lately.

It will be hell for a few weeks but all will settle down eventually. It always does.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

He is cute!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thank you.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He has your eyes, definitely! I'm still laughing over his comment from a few posts ago: "Save me from my mom!"

;)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Undomestic said...

Oh but look at those eyes. Beware of those kids with such beauties. They know how to use them don't they!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Liz - I took him out behind the woodshed and beat him for that comment. He had to pick the size of the willow switch I used.

Undomestic - Thank you. He does get away with a lot, the turkey.

6:42 AM  
Blogger EdotR said...

It's hard for them to adjust...I know...but give it a few weeks till the new routine kicks in...Miss C is still adjusting....

8:37 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mary - I would keep him in school pretty much year round if I could. I've noticed if he is out for more than two weeks we have to start from scratch again. Methinks I should be more regimented.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Don't u just love change? lol. Sounds like you both did very well. So all kids in school... Is it the great fanatsy that we all dream about???

9:57 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Don't u just love change? lol. Sounds like you both did very well. So all kids in school... Is it the great fanatsy that we all dream about???

9:58 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

I feel for you, Caro. Best of luck on the trail ahead.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

GM - You can say that twice. Oh you did! LOL

OldHoss - Thanks. I'll bet in a few more years he won't even need an aide. Fingers crossed. :-)

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home