Sunday, August 24, 2008

Whining or Stupid Spoiled American

Today I'm going to whine about stuff that is absolutely trivial. It's my blog and I will whine if I want to, whine if I want to, whine if I want to...

Now that I've infested you with an ear worm, on to it!

ICE CREAM

Ice cream isn't something I buy a lot. We could all stand to lose a few pounds, more than a few in fact.

It is a nice occasional treat though.

Imagine my surprise when I noticed at the store last week that ice cream on sale costs five dollars - ON SALE!

The kicker was the bastards shrunk the carton again. A carton of ice cream used to be two quarts. Then it shrunk to one and three quarters quarts. Now it is one and a half quarts. Did they think we wouldn't notice? C'mon!

It wasn't just one company. They all shrunk the size. Isn't this collusion, price gouging, SOMETHING?

One of the reasons dairy is so high is because it is being shipped to other countries. Hey, here's an idea. DON'T SHIP IT TO OTHER COUNTRIES!

It's bad enough that all the jobs are getting sent overseas. Don't send my ice cream too! Unpatriotic bastards!

*************************

PEANUT ALLERGY

A teacher in my son's pre-school had peanut allergy. He was never allowed to pack peanut butter.

I was so excited that when he started kindergarten he could finally pack peanut butter.

Guess what! There is a kid with peanut allergy so he can't pack peanut butter. GAAAAHHH!

Keep in mind that I do not want to kill anybody's kid. Peanut allergy is scary.

BUT my son can't have wheat or dairy or egg and he shouldn't have soy. Can you see my lunch packing dilemma here?

My son wants sandwiches. He wants to be like everybody else.

I can buy him gluten-free, vegan bread. But what kind of sandwich can I make him?

Egg salad is out!

Most lunch meats are loaded with nitrates/nitrites. He's not supposed to have those.

I can buy Hormel naturals lunch meat but I can't make a sandwich with mayonaisse or Miracle whip because they contain EGG.

He doesn't like mustard and vegan mayo is made with soy.

So lunch meat sandwich is out unless I use soy.

There's always tuna. But wait. That needs to be mixed with mayo to taste decent, plus it's filled with mercury. My son tends to hold toxins in his body rather than shed them so we don't need mercury.

I have purchased sunflower seed spread. It tasted similar to peanut butter, better I thought. He hated it.

Almond butter and cashew butter are usually pressed on the same equipment as peanuts so we were told that was out.

Sorry that you want a sandwich son, but somebody's peanut allergy has trumped your right to have a normal lunch.

Why can't they do a separate table set far away from the other kids for peanut butter lunches? Lots of schools do that.

Even better - take all the kids with peanut allergy and send them to a far corner to have lunch.

Ooh. I've got it. How about I demand everybody else's children eat lunches free of wheat, dairy, egg and soy?

Sigh.
********************

COMPANIES TAKING ADVANTAGE OF HIGHER GAS PRICES TO BEND US OVER

When I've gone to the grocery store lately, I've noticed prices aren't rising just a little bit. They are shooting up overnight.

I'm not talking about five or ten cents. I'm talking about a bottle of oil going from three dollars to six or seven. Some items might rise by only thirty cents but ten items that are thirty cents higher equal another three dollars in my grocery cart.

I realize gas prices are up and companies have to make up the difference. But here's the kicker. Kraft Foods, alone, has increased profits of eight percent!

The companies are raising prices higher than they need to and then yelling that the gas prices forced them to do it. Uh-huh.

I realize this is a capitalist country and I'm all about the right to make a profit. But gouging - that makes me grind my teeth.

Next year may be the year I attempt a garden. You can't gouge me if I'm not buying your darn food now, can you?

18 Comments:

Blogger Chris H said...

Friggin ice cream! Thats all I'm gunna say about that.
NOT FAIR indeed... your kid should be allowed to eat bloody peanut butter sandwiches... the allergic kids can piss off... it's not like they can ingest peanuts from the SMELL can they? Whats with that?
AND dont even get me started on gas prices/rising prices of other stuff! It's bloody madness. I wanna kill someone on that score!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Chris H said...

Dang! I meant to ask, just what the hell do you feed your son then? With so many allergies it must be very hard! And I didn't mean to say your son could piss off, just the ones that impose their allergies onto other people's choices! That just isn't right.... Does that mean when they are eating at a restaurant or similar EVERYONE in the room isn't allowed to eat peanuts???? That just ain't gunna happen.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Chris - I knew what you meant about pissing off, didn't even think to take offense at that one.

While some people actually can get reactions from the smell, this particular child only gets sick if it is ingested. Seems the teachers could make sure the kid doesn't get somebody else's lunch.

My son knows not to eat anybody else's lunch and doesn't.

I was making him gluten-free bread with rice and tapioca flours but the egg allergy is a new one. I'm struggling a lot with it. Gluten-free bread baking calls for egg and the egg replacer doesn't work the same. My bread has been coming out really nasty.

Right now I am paying about 6-8 bucks a loaf for bakery bread. Grrrrr.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

i'm all for growing veggies and such. haven't done it but i admire it.

no one was allergic to peanuts when we were in school...interesting.

veganlunchbox.blogspot.com might have some sandwich ideas...

12:44 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - Good thought. She certainly packs pretty lunches.

1:47 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Our schools parents banded together and said PUT THE PEANUT ALLERGY KIDS AT THE TABLE WITH THE DIABETIC KIDS, ETC as they have a full-time para assigned to that table who is trained to medically assist in the event of a problem! DUH! So they do that. Officially, that is.
BUT...the kids with nut allergies brow beat the other kids into NOT bringing any nuts so they can eat with them! So the children who are severely limited (like your SJ) are ridiculed for bringing a peanut product lunch. So now none of the kids bring peanut products. I pluck the known peanut allergy kids out of 2nd, 1st and kindergarten and insist they sit at the allergy/diabetic/specials table anyway. It's the School RULE. And my child sometimes has peanut butter for breakfast and may get some on his clothing.
I tell the peanut allergy kid to drag their friend to the food allergy table - that it is extremely unfair to limit 300+ students because 3 are allergic to peanuts. (we actually have over 1000 students, but only 300 eat at a time)

3:32 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Oh, and we now buy alot of food from locals, like all our veggies are from a CSA farm nearby, and all our dairy is from a local dairy. MUCH MUCH cheaper, and low shipping costs. Our CSA farm also has meat, eggs, and chicken.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What about veggie sandwiches?

Yeah... I know...

I get the peanut allergy thing... at work we'd have to change the ENTIRE menu... 5 days worth of camp meals -- no type of peanut ANYTHING. It was tough on our kitchen staff and we were not even allowed to each peanut stuff at our seperate intern house because if anything ended up on us or our clothes and we came in contact with that kid...

We actually had a couple kids who had such a bad nut allergy that simply smelling or touching peanuts would send them into shock.

I remember one kid in particular I worked with-- I had to carry ONE 'extra epi pen'... he carried FOUR.

Good luck finding stuff!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mscellania - I wish we had a local place to buy eggs. I'm sure there is one but no advertising is going on.

Smart Ash - That is scary when you have to have four epi-pens!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

We have a peanut free table at our school. I am glad. I am too lazy to make anything else.

I saw the Ice Cream cartons shrink too. I am on to you you bastards! They tried to be all sly too. Didn't fool me, grrrrrrr.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

GM - That's not lazy. You know you don't have to pack an ice pack with it since it won't spoil.

Pretty soon a pint will be standard ice cream size. Grrrr.

4:33 PM  
Blogger MsCellania said...

Well, so much for me and my great ideas.
Today, youngest was sent off to school with a peanut butter sandwich, his great love.
Guess what? The most allergic to peanuts and biggest bully in first grade INSISTED that youngest sit with him, and get this: NOT EAT HIS SANDWICH. Which means my poor little guy had a lime yoghurt for lunch and later on, a fruit roll up for snack.
I am going to call that kid's parents tomorrow and say "I'm sending youngest to school with peanut butter. Tell your little darling to sit SOMEWHERE ELSE OR I WILL COME AND RUB HIS ENTIRE F'ING BODY WITH THE STUFF.
Okay, totally wouldn't do that. But...

9:11 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mscellania - Hee hee. I like the rolling him in peanut butter idea. I'm sorry he bullied your son though. :-(

Have you tried the sunflower seed butter? It's 3.50 at Trader Joes if you have one.

I loved it. Not sure why Sammy hated it so much.

12:53 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Here's the rule of buying things:

Whatever you want, Carolyn Pays. Yes, probably through the nose,too.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Hoss, you aint a kiddin!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

Hi! When I bake egg free (we rotate the eggs), I increase the amount of egg replacer 1 1/2 times to 2 times. Gluten free doughs are WAY to heavy for just the regular amount. Also, the Noah Rolls work really well with flax seed goop instead of eggs. I usually use the golden flax instead of regular for those because it looks better to the kids...There is a recipe for those and the flaxseed replacement on my blog.

Can he do pumpkin waffles? I have egg free ones on my blog and my kiddos bring those to school sometimes... I also saw a rice yogurt and coconut yogurt (haven't tried them yet though, and don't know if there is trace soy). Gluten free noodles with meat sauce, "naked" sandwiches (what my kids call sandwiches with no condiments and just the meat), gluten and soy free pretzels with his nitrate free meat cut into shapes (your own Momable!), humus (if he is into that), gluten free chicken nuggets, nitrate free hot dogs... just some ideas.

There is also a product called peabutter (I haven't tried it) that is supposed to be really close in taste to peanut butter, but without the allergen. It is also GFCF, and looks soy and egg free. http://www.peabutter.ca/index.html

12:17 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Angela - Thank you for all the info, especially the egg replacer info. My gf breads were coming out with a really nasty moist texture using it.

I have finally perfected one recipe with flax seed. Phew.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely, i just brought even more some other new emo backgrounds on my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home