Thursday, March 26, 2009

For the Love of a Watermelon

My husband wanted some egg rolls one weekend about a month ago. Rather than pay somebody else to make them, I decided to make them myself. The least expensive place to buy egg roll ingredients is the Asian market so Sammy and I went together.

Azure stayed home with her Dad. She had first choice to go to the grocery store with me and she declined. She changed her mind when I was taking Sammy, but I have a one child per grocery trip rule. Taking more than one child to the grocery store never bodes well for my sanity or for the sanity of those around me.

The Asian grocery has a lot of produce. Most of it is much cheaper than in the regular grocery store. The front of the store has big wooden bins filled with produce. I walked by the bins and Sammy stopped me. He pointed to the bin with individual watermelons.

"Mom, do you see that box over there? I've been waiting for those."

The individual watermelons were only a dollar and fifty cents. I grabbed just one because it isn't melon season.

The melon didn't spend much time in the cart. Sammy weighed it in the produce scale at least twice. He also proudly kept showing it to a toddler boy who was riding in a cart. Sammy handed it over. Then the little boy handed it back. Fortunately his mother didn't mind.

After we paid for the groceries and went to the car, Sammy wanted his watermelon to hold on the way home. He sat in his car seat, tenderly cradling his watermelon and bestowing the occasional kiss on it.

When we got home, I had to cut it in half and he devoured most of it, finishing the rest of it later that day. It was good! I wish I had grabbed more than one.
********************
My Mom gave me some birthday money that I hadn't yet spent so I went shopping today.

Normal women get excited about shopping. I'm not normal.

The first stop was for a sports bra. I grabbed the same style and size as last time but tried it on just in case. It was a good thing. Despite the fact the girls haven't changed in size the manufacturer decided to dub me a double D. I'm not but it seems even bra cup sizes are getting supersized.

The sports bra was thirty-four dollars before tax! Good grief.

I then went shirt shopping. What is with the new shirt styles? They cling to my back, caressing every wayward bulge. I don't want my back fat on display, thank you very much. I can't hide my double chin but I'll be damned if I'm sharing my back fat with the whole world. YUCK!

I ended up with no shirts but I did find a pair of capri pants for twenty dollars. When somebody figures out why a bra that covers an eighth of me costs so much more than pants that cover almost a third of me, please explain the reasons. This is one of those great mysteries of life that keeps me up at night.

Also, why can we put a man on the moon but nobody has invented a self-cleaning kitchen yet?

What mysteries do those of you in blogville ponder?

6 Comments:

Blogger Mz.Elle said...

I'm currently pondering how to kill one of my neighbors. Not the one I just blogged about,a new asshole who hurt Jig's feelings,the
neanderthal jerk.

I've discovered shirts with flutter sleeves are very flatering,nice and loose,hide the arm pudge. Look for ones with banding below the breasts that flare out a bit.

I loved reading about Sammy and his
watermelon,he's so sweet:)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Chris H said...

Mystery: why does it cost $50,000 dollars (oK much exaggeration) for a tiny wee part for ya car... and only $5 for a huge part???

I never take ANY kid shopping if I can help it! Ikky things kids.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Bearette said...

the watermelon story is so cute.

i hate shopping, too. unless it's for books or food. or children's clothes.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Aww, Lael, I'm sorry Jig's feelings got hurt. Adults should know better.

Chris H - Car parts are outrageous! I can only imagine the profit margin.

Bearette - This kid is crazy for so many fruit and vegetables. Then there is his older sister...I do love book shopping. Maybe I'll do a bit of that minus kids soon.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the watermelon story. I can just see his face. It's nice he actually has a food he can eat all of that he wants. Give him a kiss.

Mom

2:17 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Mom, He is always getting kisses, probably too many. :-)

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home