Sunday, July 26, 2009

Another Wasted Summer

Every year I tell myself that I will organize my house during the summer. And every year I fail utterly at that assignment. There is so much to do that I end up getting overwhelmed and throwing up my hands.

I did get rid of a lot of the kid's stuff, but it's always much harder to get rid of MY stuff. It's strange because that's all it is - stuff. I don't need most of it but who knows, if I throw it out, I might. Ugh.

Sammy graduated from ABA at the end of June and immediately started a socialization program we had been waiting forever for. While I was glad to get in, I was a bit miffed at the timing. Our whole summer was stretching before us with no therapies and then it was snatched away. It has turned out to be a blessing. Azure goes to help out, and both kids are having a great time.

I am not doing wonderfully on the health front, nothing major, but I'm in constant pain. My arm and shoulder started hurting some months ago. I ignored it, hoping it would go away, and then it became excruciating.

I begrudgingly went to the doctor. The diagnosis is rotator cuff tendinitis. Since I waited so long, now I have to have physical therapy.

I waited another week to call the physical therapist, because I kept hoping it would heal once I was popping 800 mg Motrin three times a day.

Alas, I now seem to have a frozen shoulder. Ever try shaving your armpit when you can't lift your arm up high enough?

This sucks and it hurts a lot. And I'm sure physical therapy will make it hurt MORE. Gah!

But enough of the pity party. I am so good at throwing those, don't ya think?

We haven't been all idle this summer. We have been to the library a lot, although I am the one doing most of the reading.

The children saw a magician at the library. We went to two different story times and we are going to a wild animal presentation on Tuesday.

We've been on a hike and a picnic. We've been to two different parks with water features and we are going to a new one Monday, all of them free.

We still need to go berry picking before all the blueberries are gone. I love blueberries and so does Sammy.

My Grandma is visiting my mother so we will be going down there for a while. Since my Grandma lives in Maine, we haven't seen her in over four years. My daughter lives with my mother so I will get a chance to see her too. Also, my Mom has a pool, a pool! I can't wait to swim.

There are only three weeks left until school starts. An eight week summer isn't nearly long enough, in my opinion. On days the kids are whining, that opinion has been known to change.

When the kids go back to school, it will be a full day for both of them. I need to find a way to make extra money with my time. Are there even jobs out there? Even if there are, do they want somebody who can only work from 8:30 to 1:30 that has to stay home with sick kids and on school vacations? I doubt it. So I need to find a way to make money from home.

I don't have the temperament to do sales or daycare. Could I make this any more difficult? LOL

Life has a way of going on regardless. It's all good.

13 Comments:

Blogger Bearette said...

Maybe a part-time job at a bookstore? I think that would be cool. Especially if they gave you a discount.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Bearette - That would be fun. I would spend my whole paycheck there too. Hooray!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Badger said...

Dude! My mom had frozen shoulder and it was INCREDIBLY painful. I can't remember what she did to get rid of it. Maybe it WAS physical therapy. Or injections or something? I dunno, but I feel for you and hope yours is better soon!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thank you Badger. I go to my first appointment Wednesday, fingers crossed.

On the bright side, I have an excuse for having a hairy armpit, at least on the left! LOL

1:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There is no excuse for hairy legs or arms, nope. Remember when I had my knee, er... rearranged, rebuilt? As soon as I could shower I was shaving that leg... Goodness knows I became really flexable!

It's hotter than the devil's butt down here so the pool is, oh, 85'? Nonetheless cooler than 110.

And my mom has a torn rotater cuff... she just keeps going, no Dr., no therapy (this is because she wants to avoid surgery, truth is that's right where she's heading by not getting help.) Hope your shoulder gets better-- I know tendonitus sucks, I have it in my ankle, but shoulder would be 10x worse!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Ash, I hope your Mom gets her arm fixed soon. That's nothing you want to mess with. I have learned my lesson. :-)

Regarding the pit, I don't WANT it to be hairy, BUT I can't lift my arm up enough to get to it. So short of asking my husband to do it for me....Ew, just ew. It's okay. I don't wear tanktops in public.

And I can't believe I'm discussing my hairy pit on the internet. What next? Brazillian waxes?

8:34 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Ooh! I learned this when I had shoulder sugery a few years ago (yeah. I know). Anyway, if you gently prop your elbow on the shower wall and use the wall to take the weight of your bad arm, you can totally shave your armpit!

Oh, and? Mind your physical therapist.

Feel better.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Thanks Paula,

I'll try that today. A lot of the problem is the shoulder is stuck and I can't push past a certain point. Grrr.

Now I am havng muscle spasms. I wish I could take a valium and go back to bed.

The PT is tomorrow. I'm hoping they offer something better than Motrin.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Ouch! Your shoulder sounds really painful. It must be hard to do all your everyday stuff like that:(
I hope they get you fixed up,right quick!

I like the bookstore job idea!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Caro said...

Ms. L - I love working with books. I worked as a library aide once at a school and LOVED it.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

oh, sending hugs. My dad had a frozen shoulder ages ago.

and it makes my librarian hearat go pit a pat to hear that your kids had fun at the library.

xo,
SL

9:55 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Hey!


Where'd you go?

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home